Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Protecting your camera around water

What do you guys use to protect your DSLR when you take it fishing with you? Dry bag? Dry box? I am curious to know what products more experienced photographers than I use and like.

I have a Canon DSLR, one of their smaller ones (Rebel T3i), with a couple of lenses and assorted doodads that I HAD been taking in my kayak in a regular (i.e. not watertight) Canon camera bag. However, earlier this year I managed to capsize my boat for the first time, which opened my eyes to its limits with regard to stability, and convinced me that I needed something watertight in which to keep my camera and lenses if they were to accompany me on the boat. (Fortunately, I did not have them on board when I capsized the boat!)

I have looked at the Pelican cases, which are very nice, but in order to get one big enough to fit the camera (with the smaller of the two lenses attached), as well as the longer lens and a place for the small lens when I change lenses, I'd have to get one the size of a small suitcase which would cost $75-100. I'm willing to bite the bullet and spend that if it's my only option for a truly watertight case, but if there are less expensive products that would do as good a job I'd certailny consider those too.

Any and all suggestions appreciated...thanks!

Bryon

Bryon-

Sorry you had an accident with your boat, but if you own one like I do, you have to expect it.

I'd suggest you look at the Pelican hard waterproof cases. I know they are expensive, but do you really want to lose the use of your DSLR for 2-3 weeks when you have to send it off to Canon for repairs? Plus Canon will charge you several hundred dollars to repair it. That's not including lenses which will leak terribly. Look at a hard case as cheap(er) insurance. If not too heavy with gear, Pelicans will float which is a plus.

Google B&H Photo for hard cases. Some of them already have cutouts in the foam liners for DSLRs, lenses, accessories, etc.

Bill

Bill,

You make a good point about comparing the cost of a Pelican case to the cost of camera and lens repairs. That is probably how I should be looking at this. And I'm positive that's how I should be pitching this purchase to my wife! smile.png

Thanks for your insight.

Bryon

Addendum: I just googled B&H photo like you said--great site! They have a Pelican case that should work for me for $75. (Pelican 1400). I think I will look into one of those.

Also Google "gun boxes". There are several makers of carrying cases for guns that are watertight and very similar to Pelican's. Honestly, I don't know if you'll find what you need in a "cheaper" form. This is one of those situations where you get what you pay for.

I'm not a real camera or photo person, but i do have a digital camera, i think it's a hp? Anyway, years ago i had left it outside all night & it rained very heavy! When i found it the next day it wouldn't work, screen looked like a orvis rainbow bead! So i pulled it apart as much as i could & put it near the fire inside to dry out & haven't had a problem since!

I use the watertight tupperware style boxes. The ones with 4 lid closing snaps. I tested it in the pool first, and it works. My camera, cell phone and keys stay in there while I am fishing from my kayak. It also goes in the pack when I am wading.

I toss my wallet, camera, phone and key fob into a dry bag, which is vinyl and seals water tight. Also there is enough air in the bag that it will float all those items. I fell out of the boat in Feb. (brrrr) only casualty was the IPOD.

I use the watertight tupperware style boxes. The ones with 4 lid closing snaps. I tested it in the pool first, and it works. My camera, cell phone and keys stay in there while I am fishing from my kayak. It also goes in the pack when I am wading.

this for the win, and $$$$$ saved.

9381.jpg

pentax optio w30 waterproof point and shoot

my nikon dslr stays home high and dry

or zip lock bags. very inexpensive

Zip-top-poly-bag-large2.jpg

Thanks everyone for your responses. I decided that kentuckytroutbum and mikechell had it right--this is not an area where I want to scrimp. The Pelican case is a relatively inexpensive insurance policy against expensive repairs or total loss of my DSLR. You can't beat them for protection against shock, accidental drops, etc., either., with the customizable foam inside.

My normal solution to this problem is simply to not take the DSLR when I go fishing, but I occasionally do fly fishing magazine articles (working on one now in fact), and for that i need the DSLR. The rest of the time, if I want photos, I just use my phone, which, btw, fits in a nifty little $5 dry box purchased at my local big box. :)

Hey Byron,

I use a Pelican 1450 and replace the standard foam or dividers with a TrekPak system.

On a related note, I've found one of the best things to do for a DSLR that you're worried about is simply to insure it.

Call whatever company provides your car/homeowner/renter insurance and check into valuable item coverage. Eventually, even with solid protection, stuff takes a dip. If your gear would be financially painful to replace, insure it and ditch the worry. If you're doing work for publication you want your best tools on the water with you.