Fly Tying
Bill_729

Thinking about going to Smith Mountain Lake, VA

I noticed that I may be driving by Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia in a few months.

I would love to stop and fish for the day (without dropping alot of cash--I'll stay at the nearest "Quality Inn" style of place) but I'm not sure how to approach it. I didn't really have any luck with "takemefishing.org".

When I was a kid, we used to rent 10 or15 HP "row-boats", but for some reason, their availability doesn't seem to be as common as it used to be, having been replaced by pontoon and speed boats at ~$100/hr. I have "waders" if there is a good wade-able area (and I enjoy wading). I am approaching this from a "warm water" perspective, since that's what I'm used to, but I'm not picky. According to what I read, this lake is suppose to have some good bass in it. Any suggestions welcome (and I'm not stuck on this destination--I'll consider any to the west). I've thought of just driving around "stopping when I find a fishy-looking spot". but I thought it may be better to ask here--Please, help "guide" me. : )

[Added] Since I posted this, I noticed the existence of "Smith Mountain Lake State Park". I suspect that may be one the easier access points. Motels not too far away in Altavista.

Thank you,

Bill

Bill,

1 day DIY trips to unfamiliar waters are frequently a real nightmare. Especially so, if you want to fly fish only.

Smith Mountain Lake is huge water loaded with bass --SM and LM; muskies; stripers etc... Think TV lake.

Accessing the right waters at the right time of year with the right tackle and flies for your target species is a challenge.

Someone very familiar with the lake can help of course but you really need a guide to maximize your potential on-water success.

Rocco

I love fishing reservoirs ... in a boat. There are SO MANY coves, laydowns, etc. that make excellent target fishing. From the shore, be prepared to get wet, and be prepared to do a lot of walking/hiking.

Most of the reservoirs I've fished across the country have two things in common. Vertical drops at the water's edge and, where shallow, deep muddy bottoms.

If the area you find yourself in is vertical drops, you can't get IN the water. You might be able to find many places where you can get TO the water, make a few casts and head to the next one. This might involve long detours around areas you can't get to.

If you're in a shallow area, be sure to have secure footwear. You'll likely be knee deep in mud, which will suck loose boots, tennis shoes, sandals and the like right off.

The water will be cool to cold, depending on how long "... a few months" is to you. I've waded many a lake in shorts and sandals (Secure ones made for wading) and had a blast catching fish. It'll wear you out, but it's definitely worth it.

Good luck

How about a float tube. They don't have to be expensive, they carry well in a car and can give the same access as a boat.

I just googled it. That's one big ass lake. I checked out the google earth map and it looks like your best bet would probably be the state park... The boat ramp's there, might be a couple of fishing piers. There's a "Discovery Center" on a point in the lake which looks like it has decent shore access, though it looks like you might be fishing off of rip-rap. I've had decent luck fishing strange lakes from the bank. There's always pan fish to be found. Time it right and hit it in May, you might find the bass and pan fish in spawning mode.

How about a float tube. They don't have to be expensive, they carry well in a car and can give the same access as a boat.

That's what I was thinking as well Mark, you can often find those or pontoon boats extremely cheap on Facebook sales, or cl.

I appreciate all of the tips suggested I had not thought of a float tube, but that may be something which would help me fish my local ponds-but not for this lake I think. An "Outdoor Show" is coming to town in a few weeks, and I'll see what they have. As Mike pointed out, this lake appears to have lots of coves which would make fishing it fun--and the motor would be helpful.

It appears that the state park rents row boats with motors, for 4 hours for $45; I'm not sure whether that includes gas or not. And yes, I anticipate that I will be fly fishing only. But since it's a deep lake I think, I could tote a spinning rod and reel (sacrilege?).

The scheduled trip is in about 2 months, so I'll allow the weather will help me make the final decision of whether I stop at the lake this time or not. And yes, I found the lake by just looking at the map--almost like throwing a dart, except I knew my final destination. Hint: It's $8/day for a license to fish in VA, $15/day in KY, and $23 for a license for 3 days to fish in NC, which, under my circumstances, is effectively $23 for 1 day. This lake is in VA--so there's $15 I can put towards the boat right there! : ) By the way, I'm not sure about the other states, but VA has a "continuous" fishing season--no dates, except for itemized exceptions involving trout waters.

If I catch fish, I'll post a picture for you all! : ) In the meantime, those of us who don't live in Florida have to deal with the rest of February and March.

Bill

Just a note of interest:

If I know I'll be going to the same area more than twice in a single year, I will buy an annual non-resident license. It's usually cheaper than buying short term permits for each visit.

Just a note of interest:

If I know I'll be going to the same area more than twice in a single year, I will buy an annual non-resident license. It's usually cheaper than buying short term permits for each visit.

I do that for Vermont, Mike. I get up there two or three times in warm weather. Might even get one for NJ this year since my salt water club does a couple of trips to local lakes in South Jersey

I appreciate all of the tips suggested I had not thought of a float tube, but that may be something which would help me fish my local ponds-but not for this lake I think. An "Outdoor Show" is coming to town in a few weeks, and I'll see what they have. As Mike pointed out, this lake appears to have lots of coves which would make fishing it fun--and the motor would be helpful.

It appears that the state park rents row boats with motors, for 4 hours for $45; I'm not sure whether that includes gas or not. And yes, I anticipate that I will be fly fishing only. But since it's a deep lake I think, I could tote a spinning rod and reel (sacrilege?).

The scheduled trip is in about 2 months, so I'll allow the weather will help me make the final decision of whether I stop at the lake this time or not. And yes, I found the lake by just looking at the map--almost like throwing a dart, except I knew my final destination. Hint: It's $8/day for a license to fish in VA, $15/day in KY, and $23 for a license for 3 days to fish in NC, which, under my circumstances, is effectively $23 for 1 day. This lake is in VA--so there's $15 I can put towards the boat right there! : ) By the way, I'm not sure about the other states, but VA has a "continuous" fishing season--no dates, except for itemized exceptions involving trout waters.

If I catch fish, I'll post a picture for you all! : ) In the meantime, those of us who don't live in Florida have to deal with the rest of February and March.

Bill

At least we don't have to worry about iguanas falling on our heads like Mike does.

In the meantime, those of us who don't live in Florida have to deal with the rest of February and March.

At least we don't have to worry about iguanas falling on our heads like Mike does.

I think it's referred to as, "manna from heaven". But, fortunately/unfortunately, I'm a little too far north for that.

Fortunately, because the Iguanas are an invasive pest, getting into gardens and flowers.

Unfortunately, because I like Iguana, both as pets and as food. It'd be kind of neat to see them in the trees.

Mikechell wrote: "I think it's referred to as, "manna from heaven". But, fortunately/unfortunately, I'm a little too far north for that."

-It's a pretty well-kept secret that in northern Michigan, it can "rain mayflies" in the summer evening (someone should write a song?) You have to "see it to believe it!"

As this point, I'm excited of the prospects of exploring SML! I need to review the "fundamental rules of boating" (veer left?/veer right?) , it's been a while. : )

Bill

Certainly if you have a boat available, rent a boat. My comment was made before we knew one was available.

Exploring new waters can be very exciting. Sometimes you can discover things that the locals don't even know about because you are likely to try things that haven't been used there before.

The locals may be keyed on a specific species using a specific method in a particular spot and you come along with totally different stuff. I have stumbled into some of my most memorable outings by accident.

The tricky thing about fishing strange waters is being aware of the local regulations. You sometimes need a lawyer and a cartographer to understand the regulations. There may be a reason the locals aren't using a particular "Killer" method or location. It could be hook size or number restrictions, seasonal closures, like during the spawning season of a particular species, or things like slot limits. In Alaska there are lots of closed areas in "open" waters that aren't immediately obvious like closed areas within so many feet of the inlet or outlet of a lake or confluence of a river. It crazy.

Best of luck, have fun, show us pictures when you get back.

Mark wrote: Best of luck, have fun, show us pictures when you get back.

Thanks, will do. My wife announced that she would like to possibly post-pone our trip, if necessary, to make sure the weather is good at Smith Mountain Lake--so we are going to see this place one way or another--and that includes our dog. : )

I haven't fished SML yet, there aren't many places to that from shore, that i have found anyway. People with boats are nuts on that lake btw. The rivers and creeks are generally difficult to access if not down right dangerous, then there's all the over hanging trees etc. Carvins cove looks like it would be a great place to fish, either it's not very good or everyone keeps it a secret.

Update for anyone who has read this thread.

I contracted the SML state park, and have been in touch with their "concessionaire" (who rents stuff).

He offered to rent me a 150 HP boat and told me that that to the best of his knowledge, no one on SML rents aluminum boats.

This seemed strange to me for a "fishing lake"---but it's consistent with my not finding rentable aluminum boats with motors anywhere.

I know a few other places that have row boats, but my list isn't very long compared to the number of lakes I am familiar with.

Maybe there are "liability issues"--or that it's just easier to make money renting canoes and kayaks at $20/hr.

I have been learning about aluminum boats, motors and trailers, etc. in the meantime.

I am currently considering a Lowe 1668w though I have never seen one in the flesh. Here is a link:

https://www.loweboats.com/utility-boats/v1668w/

It has a "person capacity" of 732 pounds, which is more than I need, but the "runner-up" only has a capacity of 560 pounds, which isn't quite enough (we'll have to get the dog on a diet! ; ) ).

If anyone knows anything about boats, how do you think this one might move loaded with 1000# (including motor, battery, fuel and all),with a 30hp Mercury motor? Also, what about fuel consumption in this scenario?

I saw the $899 trailer having 12" tires it is paired with and it looks a little wimpy to me. Am I wrong to think I should upgrade to a $1300 one having 13" tires? The boat is made of aluminum that is (only) .061" thick. Is that something that I should be concerned about? Sorry for so many questions. I will visit my local dealer after I am finished learning online. I spoke with someone from the dealership at the boat show a few weeks back, but that person seemed less informed than me (perhaps because the boat dealership was still open that day)...lol.

Think spring! : )

Thanks,

Bill_729

I