Fly Tying
Mickalo

Embroidery floss

Hi All,

I've been looking for some Embroidery floss and came across some at one of our local retails, but it was all 100% cotton. I've been told that cotton does not make for a good tying material as it tends to rot after being wet so didn't get any.

Was wondering where one my find embroidery floss, maybe online, that is made of other materials other then cotton ?

Thx's

Mike

I was looking at that tying silk a few days ago but it's a bit pricey for me right now ... tight budget.

I haven't tried any of the cotton floss, but may get it a try, allot cheaper then the silk :) Been working on perfecting my weaving ties(using the granny knot method) and some of the patterns call for embroidery floss. I've tied a few of these Tussle Bug, weaved with the granny knot, and had some good success with them and they came out pretty nice ... if I say so myself.

Mike

I just found an auction on eBay for lot of 40 skeins of rayon floss for $5, assorted colors. so we'll see if I win this. can't beat the price ;)

Mike

Mike

I have been using cotton embroidery floss for years. Mostly for underbodies and for woven flies. Mine comes from France and marketted by DMC. This company offers pretty much every colour and shade you might want. I am sure this material would rot if you stored it in a damp place and didn't dry it after fishing the fly. Just like your T-shirt and jeans would! On the other hand, you won't have to worry about bugs since they can't eat cotton.

I think I'll pick up a few of these cotton floss tomorrow and try it out. thanks for the tip.

Mike

I did a search on eBay this evening and found an auction for a lot of 40 skeins of assorted rayon floss so I put a bid in for $5 for the lot. Figured if I win it, I'll have plenty of the floss for awhile :)

Mike

I've used the DMC Embroidary Floss (100% cotton) for midges and never had a problem with it rotting off the hook. I did take the time to dry any flies before going back into the fly box - at least the ones the stumps, rocks and other river goblins didn't get. They come in an amazing range of colors and can be used for woven flies as well.

TxEngr

I just picked up some of the cotton floss this morning in a few different colors and see how it works out.

thx's for the helpful tips ;)

Mike

I've used DMC for many flies including woven stoneflies I've never had a problem with it rotting. There's is a ton of great colors, too. Experiment.

Many salmon fishermen in Newfoundland have been using embroidery floss for body material for a few years now with no trouble that I have heard of . It makes a great fly body as it seems to last longer than floss bodies . And the salmon don't seem to mind the difference at all ............Frank

Cotton I think is generally considered poor for dries because it absorbs water, but I've never heard of problems with rot before. See if you can find a copy of Ed Engles' Tying Small Flies. He uses DMC embroidery floss extensively in his midge patterns. DMC floss also comes in some pretty neat metalic colors that you might also want to find.

As mentioned, there are rayon and silk flosses that you could also use, but I really like Superfloss/Spanflex for most applications which is a rubbery material (latex?) that stretches and makes nice segmentation and is very durable. Not something you'll find in the local stores but most fly shops carry it.