Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KOKOEK9

what fly to use

Hi, I want to fish a small brook water is a few feet wide and not deep and mostly mud bottom but some stones, field on one side brush on both side and marsh on one side. This is in southern New York state what Kind of fly is good this time of year. The fish are most likely brook trout. Thanks

Wouldn't we all like to know what the "magic fly" is on a new piece of water. I can't help you with that but I will offer some general advice for prospecting new waters especially for brookies. I would tie on a size 14 wulff pattern or small stimulator to start with and a dropper with a small nymph of your choosing. Find out what works. Try a parachute at point with a wet fly dropper. Change sizes and species of insect if necessary. The point is to put a couple of different options out there at once. I wouldn't try three as some do because on small streams you will have trouble. FYI...I have found brookies to be especially fond of soft hackles.

Small streams ... lots of terrestrials falling in on a regular basis ... put on an ant or a small cricket/hopper.

Or do as Shoe says.

Many small streams hold fish that are less picky when it comes to 'match the hatch' kind of fishing. Often there are less major hatches and the fish are more opportunistic. Can still need a good drift and stealthy presentation, making the fishing fun and meaning you need to work for the smaller fish they might hold. I'll second wulff patterns and terrestrials - adding the beetle as my personal favorite followed by the ant. Parachute hare's ear is a winner as well. For nymphs, don't over think it. Something buggy looking is great, as well as sunken ants and soft hackle flies. I think presentation requires more attention than pattern.