Fly Tying
Nick Williams

Wool from IKEA

Any ever seen these? http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/70026822/

Real and soft wool, a whole bunch of it for $30. Anyone ever bought some for fly tying?? And any thoughts on dyeing it? I'm not familiar enough with the properties of dyeing or wool to know anything. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I actually had this same idea last time I was at IKEA. I was under the impression it was synthetic...

It still looks good. I'll get one next time I find myself at IKEA. It probably would be a good material for you if you tie a lot of streamers. Easy to dye too.

Give this a look, http://www.paradisefibers.com/spinning/wool-roving.html. Roving has already been washed, cleaned and carded for spinning, much less work and most of these take acid dyes very well. (animal fiber & nylon) It is sold by the ounce, 4 oz minimum and increments, every now and then they offer free shipping.

Roving is often in lots of craft places ready dyed. The only thing I'm unsure of is does the dye wash out in the ready dyed stuff. I'm near a hobby craft on Wednesday and plan to buy some along with some gold and silver wire in big bulk spools.

IMO, it would depend on the hair length & what you wish to do with it. I bought a similar pelt from an Ebay seller & for about the same price. The hair ranged from about 1/2" up to just short of 3" on the one I purchased. It would be fine for small streamers & of course the hair could be used for dubbing. My intention was for small streamers & possibly jigs. It would work fine for either.

Dyeing any type of sheep wool should not be an issue. Dyeing has been discussed many times here & on other tying sites. It's not difficult to do & wool dyes quite well.

A white sheep skin like that could have use to a tier for many types of flies IMO and that is not a bad price. I've seen them with much longer hair & priced up over $100. Different type sheep I'm sure, but still at $30 it might be worth trying.

Agreed... also I'd think you'd have to card the wool for it to be usable.

I have some from Pendleton woolen mills at this ebay store

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENDLETON-COLORPLAY-ROVING-50-OZ-NEW-LARGER-SIZE-/141295814926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item20e5e3090e

Picture of the wool I got

100_4433.jpg

Also have some I got from a local farmers market and the ladies there dyed it with Jacquards acid dye

100_6697.jpg

100_6708.jpg

Have used a lot of it tying crappie jigs and there has been no color bleed from any of it.