Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
meyer2792

Winter Trout Fishing

Hey Everyone,

I am from the Midwest and have been fishing our streams in NE Iowa and SE Minnesota. I currently been having some amazing luck with Zebra Midges, and a bit with Pink Squirrels. I have tied Scuds, Zebra Midges, and Pink Squirrels.

So besides those three I am looking for more of a variety to use during the winter. What are some flies I should be tying?

Need something to do after I get home from the stream, and I would like to be tying more flies.

Also, I see that there are little black looking flies. I am unsure what they are exactly. So I am thinking I should start studying bugs. How should I find information about it. I been looking for hatch charts but was unable to find any for Iowa or Minnesota that included winter months.

There are a number of books that have been written about typical trout stream insects found in different regions of the country. The two that got me started were Selective Trout by Swisher and Richards and Hatches and Hatches II by Caucci and Nastase. I don't know if they are still in print but you should be able to find used copies on Amazon or Ebay. Along with these would be Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine, another classic. There are a couple of booksellers that specialize in fly fishing subjects (I am familiar with The Angling Bookstore) that you could contact to see what they have available to help you.

Steve

You say you have been successful with Zebra Midges. Midges are about the only thing that will be hatching this time of year, so your "little black looking flies" would be midges. Try tying some un-weighted midge pupa on a light wire hook. And learn the Griffith Gnat. Very simple fly. Syl's Midge is another easy adult midge pattern you should tie for winter months.

For now concentrate on midge patterns. Get the books mentioned (library would be a good source,) and read them both for a good primer on what to be tying for later in the year. You still have about 3 moths before you see any mayfly or caddis fly hatches. The first mayfly hatch you should expect would be Blue Wing Olives and maybe the Blue Quills.

Hey Everyone,

I am from the Midwest and have been fishing our streams in NE Iowa and SE Minnesota. I currently been having some amazing luck with Zebra Midges, and a bit with Pink Squirrels. I have tied Scuds, Zebra Midges, and Pink Squirrels.

So besides those three I am looking for more of a variety to use during the winter. What are some flies I should be tying?

Need something to do after I get home from the stream, and I would like to be tying more flies.

Modern Midges is a good book for winter flies. I live in Wisconsin and have used a lot of these patterns with success.

I am east of you, in WV, and we have little black stone flies hatching as well as the super tiny midges. Might be something else to look into

Update: I have been sticking with my size 18 and 20 zebra midges for the fishing. I have not gone wrong with it.

I actually just had a battle of a life time on a size 20. I was in a hole just past some rapids and was catching many small 5 inch browns and rainbows. I kept hooking up with a trout that I could see slightly under the water when it showed its white belly. I could tell it was a big one; after 10 + "quick releases" I was just getting frustrated and wanted to bust my rod. Surprising it kept hitting my fly after 4 hours into it. It was just getting dark and I told myself I was not going to leave till I landed it. I finally hooked it and was able to get it close to the shore and net it. (A net I just bought the night before, never owned one because since I started fishing a year ago I was in streams that never have been known to produce fish over 12 inches) Well, I am sure glad I bought that net. I landed a 16 inch Wild brown. It may not be that large for some, but for me it was the largest to this date I have ever caught. It is the battle that I will always remember on that size 20 zebra midge.

Thanks everyone for your insight!

Hope all is well and remember keep them lines tight! ;)

I tried I get out into the Shenandoah valley this weekend but the freezing rain really screwed things up.

Glad someone's catching fish.

That's a beautiful photograph. Need to blow it up and frame it!

That's a beautiful photograph. Need to blow it up and frame it!

It's a pretty/okay photograph. The fly rod and fish are very pretty, in focus and posed nicely. But the photo has WAY TOO MUCH of that nasty white crap in it to be beautiful.

Nice fish! Any fish in January is a good fish :D

As for other flies, I know eggs and worm flies are good in the winter. I'm not sure if you use these - I know a lot of people won't touch them! But small (14-18) eggs have been my top producer in freezing weather.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I wish I could make it out this week. Although, the weather is suppose to be really nasty. I am currently sitting out blizzard conditions. Don't even know if I will be able to find my way to the shop do some woodworking today.