Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Does anybody know what is being used on this fly?

I found this site which shows how to tie an almost lifelike maggot... I tried to see if I could determine what kind of nylon or polyester yarn is being used for the body... it's not obvious to me and I don't want to buy a bunch of yarn that I can't use... any ideas?

When you "burn" white chenille, does the end turn black? That is kind of what I'm looking for; my wife says nylon or polyester does that...

It's a type of chenille he's using, and IMO it's a synthetic material. I've tied with chenilles made of nylon, which are usually a denser chenille, such as Utra Chenille used for San Juan worms, or rayon chenilles, which are typical of patterns such as Woolly Buggers. There's also cotton, which is used in patterns such as "Sucker Spawn". Cotton absorbs more water than the other others. However, that black end you would get with any of them when you burn them. Cotton, doesn't "seal" like the synthetic materials so I would rule that out. It doesn't look dense enough to be nylon, but it could be a type of nylon not normally associated with tying. Keep in mind there are many types of chenille yarns not made for tying purposes and he could be using such a yarn.

If I had to make a guess, I would say it's rayon. wink.png

If you want to tie it anywhere near the size that he's tying, you want to look for micro ultra chenille in cream or white. If you try regular or even small chenille, it will be way too big for that sized hook. The video really wasn't all that informative. He should have either listed the ingredients at the start of the video, or mention what brand chenille that he found that worked well for that sized fly.

Regards,

Mark

I found this site which shows how to tie an almost lifelike maggot... I tried to see if I could determine what kind of nylon or polyester yarn is being used for the body... it's not obvious to me and I don't want to buy a bunch of yarn that I can't use... any ideas?

You missed the skein of yarn in the black wrapper in front of him in the video. So I think it is sythetic yarn.

There's also cotton, which is used in patterns such as "Sucker Spawn".

FWIW, the sucker spawn does not use cotton. The yarn in question is angora rabbit.

As far as this pattern, literally any synthetic chenille will work. I'd recommend starting with cream micro chenille, as flytire suggests.

I have a few spin fishing friends that, if I'm going fishing with them, I try to remember to tie up a few of these for them beforehand and they love them. According to them, while they don't work quite as well as the real thing (maybe 75-80%), they're far less fuss and mess, and way more durable. They fish them with a fairly typical stream spinning rig: this fly on the end of the line with 1-3 split shot spaced 1-2" apart with the closest one 12-18" up from the fly (or lure as they call it when it's on their line).

It appears that this is the brand he was using. Note the logo. If so, it is no longer available.

http://lionbrand.com/yarns/chensens.htm

Kind of cracks me up to go to the link and the first they tell you is ... Really makes it like Chadwick's 447

DISCONTINUED: No longer available laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png