Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Wild turkey feathers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mainard

Mainard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

What can you use turkey feathers for. Can you substitute them for Pheasant tail ? They look great looking for ideas. Thanks

#2 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:53 PM

You can use turkey for a myriad of different things:wings and wing cases,bodies (like you mentioned, tails on may flies etc...use your imagination and be creative!
I have an entire skin from a turkey I killed many years ago.Theres enough on it that I never have to buy turkey again!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#3 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:21 AM

Tail feathers can be used anywhere pheasant tail is called for. They're just darker.

Wings provide slips for winged dried and wets.

Wing primaries provide biots.

Body flats work like the tail, also good for parachute and wing posts. iridescent too.
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#4 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:21 AM

Use the search function here. It's been covered before I know of a few times. :)
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#5 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

I use the barbs off the tail or wings feathers  in place of biots.  The turkey feather barbs are tougher and hold together better.

Rick

#6 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

Use the search and you'll find an endless number of uses. Because of your post, I went through some links, and reacquainted myself with. uses I've forgotten. Use your imagination. It's so much fun

#7 bellevue.chartreuse.trout

bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

I thought it was the secondaries Fisherboy - that provided biots? Although I'm sure the primaries could be used... I just thought I saw somewhere (that I cannot think of right at the moment... was it Fly Tyer Mag????) that the secondaries were where commercial biots came from.

BCT

#8 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

I thought it was the secondaries Fisherboy - that provided biots? Although I'm sure the primaries could be used... I just thought I saw somewhere (that I cannot think of right at the moment... was it Fly Tyer Mag????) that the secondaries were where commercial biots came from.

BCT

Primaries are the still feathers up front. They produce biots on the leading edge, and longer biot-like fibers on the trailing edge. If you need a longer biot body those fibers work well.

Secondaries are the softer feathers in the back. Those fibers are perfect for winged wets and dries. Wingcases, leg fibers, etc.

I'll take pics when I get home.

#9 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

biots

http://www.sexyloops...mmerbiots.shtml

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#10 bellevue.chartreuse.trout

bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Very nice link to biot info flytire!

BCT