Fly Tying
sharpster68

knockoff vise on EBAY

I use one similar to the super aa vise. it works ok but would like to get a better one.

I've seen some of the rotary vise knockoffs on ebay. Any one used any of them?

The prices are good usually go between 40 and 80 dollars US.

A transplanted Texan stationed with the US Navy in Oak Harbor WA.

QUOTE (Crotalus @ May 18 2005, 01:02 PM)
rather than going the ebay way you may want to consider Hook and Hackles EZ Rotary. I have never dealt with them personally but they are supposed to have good customer service.

At least that way you will have used a reputable fly fishing company. I would do that if you want a lower priced but decent vise.

ok thanks for the advice the one i saw on ebay looks exactly like the Regal ez rotary vise at hook and hackle

A transplanted Texan stationed with the US Navy in Oak Harbor WA.

I cannot recommend a knockoff vise.

you can get set up very well w/ just a bit more money...

look into:

danvise

dynaking kingfisher

hmh spartan is it?

peak (a steal @ $129)

renzetti traveler

I suspect that if you were to buy the knockoff vise you'd soon want a quality vise.

mgj

thanks rouge, i was busy at the time and never really finished my thought dunno.gif

i was trying to convey the point that if there was a problem with the vise or you decided that it wasnt right for you then you would have a better chance to return/exchange it.

I bought a Danvise and for the price I love it does everything I want it to and more, had a knock off and worked for awhile but then it just started to fall apart wallbash.gif and I had no where to go to have it looked into wallbash.gif , what ever vise you buy I would go to a shop and do it that way to protect yourself

I use a Regal and love it. Years ago I bought the Regal knock off like the one on the hook and hackle site as a guest vise (and out of curiosity).

Lets just say you won't see me in public with the knock off but in an unbiased comparison it is a very good copy.

I could recomend the knockoff of the regal if your money is tight.

Robert

I went to the sellers rating page and e-mailed several people whom had posted that they had bought the vise etc. I asked them what they thought and had no bad comments. For what it is worth you might try the same thing....but all of the other points here are valid as well.

I bought a hammer head for 35 dollars on ebay and I'm not very impressed with it. Might just be me though but I'd rather have a renzetti or even a dan vise

Duckydoty

I got burned on a wana be zeti "best vise on ebay" My tail!!! ive_been_ripped.gif That thing was as loose as a skamaina in heat!!!! if you want a inexpensice vise go for a danvise I got mine on ebay for under 60. Stay with name brands if you want to get some thing that wont make you wish you hadn't

i bought the regal knock off from ebay, and im happy with it, except for wrapping tight turns, as in spinning deer hair, your hook will slip, id go with the danvise !, its going to be my next purchase

Hook and Hackle is a very reputable outfit. I bought their EZ rotary a couple of years ago to see if I would like a rotary action and figured if I did I could move up to a better vise. I'm still using the EZ rotary. It's made in China but the one I got has given me good service. It holds the hook securely and rotates smoothly and on a true rotary plane. I did replace the small tightening screw with a thumscrew from the hardware store so it is easier to tighten-be careful though as the threads are metric.

Dave

Danvise is the best bang for your buck when it comes to rotary - couldn't afford a Renzetti Traveller so I got a Danvise and I am absolutely thrilled with it punk.gif .... If you don't need a rotary then a Regal is the obvious other choice for quality at a good price.