Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Squeezy

Lunch break Panfish

Afternoon,

Little wind here in S.E. Michigan today, so I took full advantage of lunch break to catch a few panfish.  This was the 1st fish on a fly that I tied, so I was pretty happy about that.  Tying still needs some work for sure, but was grinning ear to ear!  Thinking next time I'll have to bring the basket - limit of 25 would make for a good fish fry for work peers.  Beautiful color on the gills right now!. 

IMG-4189.jpg

IMG-4188.jpg

"Tying needs some work." No, as panfish, especially bluegill, will hit about anything. I have caught a truckload of bluegill with flies from K-Mart (shows how long ago they were bought), one dollar for a dozen of outlandish colors and flash. My mother caught bluegill with a piece of bamboo pole, line, bobber and a piece of red cloth on a hook.

Very true, I've caught them on all sorts of candy and items from Mom's fridge as a kid.  Just stating that my tying isn't "pretty" yet.

Reminds of when I drove about 50 miles each way to work at a hospital once a week. There was a trout stream that was dammed to form a pond and there were brook trout in the stream going into the pond and leaving the pond. So during lunch I would fly fish the stream to C&R the brookies.

One time I dropped a brookie into the stream and an otter grabbed it. The otter was missing a paw and I presume it had once been caught in a trap but got away.

Hello Niveker,

If I recall, it was a "let's try this" type of tie.  Cabelas brand orange brass bead on a #14 hook that came in the fly tying kit I purchased.  Red thread, couple strands of flash off the tail with a 3-5 piece deer hair tail.  Then wrapped with a green sparkle dubbing material.  The bluegill seem to be liking it!

Sqeeezy, the fly in the photo looks good and, obviously, productive. Tie a few more and have fun. Bluegill are also tasty along with coleslaw, fries or potato salad and hushpuppies.

Hey Steve,

I'm in East China (just a stones throw N. of Marine City).  Live on the Belle River (one tributary that could be a magazine cover, but very poor fishing).  I work down at Selfridge, which is where I piddle around at lunch on the banks of Lake St. Clair.  Today's bite was on fire!  Large hatch of "Fish Flies" and the bluegill were popping all over for them.  I caught between 52-55 (lost count) in an hour lunch break.  I'd say easily 75-80% were keepers.  Such a fun outing.  Saw a funny looking small mouth laying in the shade of the break wall, took off the dry and tied on small headed nymph.  Put it right in front of him and he sucked it in.  Being I didn't have a net and didn't want to push the limits of both my tippet, but more importantly my rod tip - he got a play till he gets off with a head shake game.  Something wasn't quite right with his coloring - appeared to be spotted with white; much like a koi fish would be.

If you're ever over here to the East, let me know - more than welcome to come try at Selfridge with me.