Fly Tying
Gene L

A welcome addition to the TRV

I like the vise very well but I thought it would be a better if it had a turning handle (probably not what it's called).  A few years back I called HMH and the owner answered and I asked him about the turning handle.  I thought it was an option since I hadn't seen one in vise reviews that didn't have the turning handle.  He said he didn't make one and gave me the diameter and thread pitch.  I forgot the diameter/pitch so when I began to think more on it, I called HMH for the necessary information.  Again, the owner answered and when I asked him the specs he told me that they had started making them.  A fact I missed somehow.  So I ordered one, a nice brass rod with a neat button at the bottom end.  Not excessive cost wise and makes the vise a whole lot easier to rotate.

Nice Gene-  Mark Knapp made a few out of brass back when the TRV came out.  He offered them here for free.  I asked for one myself.

HMH TRV Vise

$536.95  $845.95

at those prices it should be as standard accessory as well a bobbin rest

glad i sold mine

Whatever makes your boat float.

I own a TRV, a Renzetti Master and a Cottarelli T-Rex. The TRV is right up there with them as well as any other top of the line vises available...except perhaps for the Regal line of vises which I am not even remotely a fan of.

I've got several vises, including a Regal, a Ren Traveler.  This doesn't indicate my ability to tie flies, however.  I just enjoy having them.  Got an old Universal vise, a Universal 2 and a Maxcatch which I referred to in a post on this board.  Guess I'm just a collector.

Angler's Roost made copies of the No. 1 back in the 90s.  Called the Roto vise.  I would like to see a review on them, but have never seen one. The No 2 is a bit simpler, draw collet (IIRC). It was simpler and cost less to copy, I think, but doesn't have the panache of the No 1.  (So called the No 1, but it didn't get the No 1 status until the No 2 came out.)

About a month ago I saw a No 1 on Ebay.  It sold for $36 more or less.

22 hours ago, flytire said:

HMH TRV Vise

$536.95  $845.95

at those prices it should be as standard accessory as well a bobbin rest

glad i sold mine

Norm, the big solid brass knob at the rear of the TRV was intended to be used as a "Palm" wheel so a handle wasn't needed.  HMH thought tiers would rest their left hand on top of it and rotate the vise using their palm.  A nice idea but that idea that didn't take, people seem to want a lever.   Only 3 short years ago I paid $425.00 for the vise new + $80 for a bobbin rest, profile plate and extended stem.  So all in $505 +tax.  That was still less money than either a Renzetti Master or a Dyna King Ultimate Indexer at the time.  

These are the current base prices I found for each vise from the manufacturer.

Renzetti Master $699.00 (bobbin rest included).

Dyna King Ultimate Indexer  $645.00 (bobbin rest included).

HMH TRV $537 (Bobbin rest optional at $39) 

So $576 for a TRV with a bobbin rest puts HMH in the same ball park with their competition.  Anyway you look at it $600 is a lot of money and we all know we can get a great vise for far less.  But for some of us there's this issue of passion where logic gets replaced by emotion.  When that happens a $40 bobbin rest included or not does not make much of a difference.  I know this to be true because it happens to me - My wife has a great story about the time I went to the car dealership unsupervised. 😲

2 hours ago, DFoster said:

Norm, the big solid brass knob at the rear of the TRV was intended to be used as a "Palm" wheel so a handle wasn't needed.  HMH thought tiers would rest their left hand on top of it and rotate the vise using their palm.  

yes i used it that way when i used to own that vise. sold it a while ago