Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

My first ties since my stroke

Sorry to hear about the stall in your steel working. You are awesome. Can you rig an auto-off switch for both feet, so if you fall over the power hammer shuts off?

2 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Sorry to hear about the stall in your steel working. You are awesome. Can you rig an auto-off switch for both feet, so if you fall over the power hammer shuts off?

The problem would be the momentum in the hammer. The only thing that would work would be a break on the ram that would fire when the power was killed. I think I'll get there, it's only a balance problem.

33 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

I think I'll get there, it's only a balance problem.

Sounds like a plan. 👍👍

Hear ya Mark- i can tie fine and it has helped get my fine motor skills back in shape.My balance is a tad iffy at times and have overdone it a little.I was a tile setter for nearly 40 years and kneeling lifting bending etc just aint gonna happen.Plays hell on my back ,tried doing some work for family and just couldn;t work more than a couple hours.Walking a more than a quarter mile my back and legs get cramped.My new normal kinda sucks but i feel extremely blessed for a second chance.Going uphill up stairs etc no problems,down i have to be a bit careful.A lot came back to me the first couple months it has been much slower improvement the last few.I did get out and fish twice last week and  am planning on going this coming week.

2 hours ago, jcozzz said:

Hear ya Mark- i can tie fine and it has helped get my fine motor skills back in shape.My balance is a tad iffy at times and have overdone it a little.I was a tile setter for nearly 40 years and kneeling lifting bending etc just aint gonna happen.Plays hell on my back ,tried doing some work for family and just couldn;t work more than a couple hours.Walking a more than a quarter mile my back and legs get cramped.My new normal kinda sucks but i feel extremely blessed for a second chance.Going uphill up stairs etc no problems,down i have to be a bit careful.A lot came back to me the first couple months it has been much slower improvement the last few.I did get out and fish twice last week and  am planning on going this coming week.

Thanks for for writing in. I'm going through all the same stuff. Besides the fly tying, I've started programing my CNC mill. For me it's one of the most challenging things for me to do, academic wise because accuracy is paramount. Because of the stroke, I haven't programmed in six months. The stroke has affected my memory some but I think programming is all coming back to me. Next, engraving. All of this is good occupational therapy.

I've also been fishing about 25 days and that's going OK too. I still have the balance thing to work out. It's getting better a little at a time.

Nice to talk to you.

Mark, my wife went through the balance problems after her stroke. She did some work with an in house therapist and taught her some excerises that helped bring her around. She was chauffeuring me for a while after I shattered my hip and now I'm driving her everywhere. She's been doing some local driving and even drove to the city with me along of course in case she needed to stop. I drove home in the dark but her recovery is pretty complete now and hope yours goes as well. 

I really like the new fly design and am anxious to hear if you've scored a knockout on the grayling with that. I think it's going to become legend on your rivers after you start passing a few around to friends.

Nick

18 hours ago, vicrider said:

Mark, my wife went through the balance problems after her stroke. She did some work with an in house therapist and taught her some excerises that helped bring her around. She was chauffeuring me for a while after I shattered my hip and now I'm driving her everywhere. She's been doing some local driving and even drove to the city with me along of course in case she needed to stop. I drove home in the dark but her recovery is pretty complete now and hope yours goes as well. 

I really like the new fly design and am anxious to hear if you've scored a knockout on the grayling with that. I think it's going to become legend on your rivers after you start passing a few around to friends.

Nick

Thanks a lot Nick, I will keep you guys posted.