Fly Tying
cphubert

Fly Tying Symposium NJ

12 hours ago, Philly said:

I was there all day Saturday

Philly I talked with one of your members (with a mask) he was a fellow Navy vet and retired from contract management for the Navy. Nice guy, I spent most of my time in the show talking with Roger Plourde or watching some of the tyers with some techniques or patterns that I don't normally tie. Was disappointed that Streams of Dreams didn't show, Harry was unable to attend, I enjoy reminiscing with Harry and Roger about the Maritimes. Wishing Harry and Jon the best for 2023. Intended to introduce myself to Tim Cammisa but he was pretty busy every time I saw him. It was not a bad show for post covid, and you are right it is a tying show not a fly fishing show with that said still hoped for a few more material vendors.

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

Philly I talked with one of your members (with a mask) he was a fellow Navy vet and retired from contract management for the Navy.

Then you were talking with me.  A belated glad to have met you.  I've managed to avoid Covid so far and I don't feel like catching the flu, so I continue to wear a mask in public places.   I only knew about four of the folks tying and they were all busy when I walked around the show.  I've been going to it since 1998 and used to know a lot of the tyers.  If you're looking for more vendor then the Fly Fishing show in January is the one you want to go to.  Mostly vendors and outfitters with a few scattered tyers.  I think we'll be there in January, probably in the same spot.

22 hours ago, robow7 said:

There used to be some great Fly Fishing shows in the Chicago land area, but that was many many years ago.  They kept raising the booth price to the vendors, the local union restrictions were overblown, and the hotel rates went astronomical, hence many of the vendors couldn't sell enough product to break even.  It was wonderful when all the major vendors showed up because you could actually put your hands on that new rod, reel, or fly tying vise (how I came to buy my Regal vise 25 years ago)  .  Also it was so nice to actually meet those fellows who gave seminars, whom you had read their published books and articles for so very long, ahhh the good old days, ha.

You are right,when i was kip we would go to the International Amphitheatre for the sportsman show.Hunting fishing lumberjack competitions a wrestling bear ,casting contests and more i can't remember.Thet had a fly fishing show at Navy Pier in the mid 90s after the rebuild which i worked on.It was dud for the exhibitors but was a life changer for me.I had never really flyfished and was starting to tie.It was slow to say the least.I brought my young daughter,she is now 34,We had great time as it was my first time back to the pier since ir reopened.I was fascinated and decided to REALLY learn to fly fish and tie.I met Dave Whitlock,bought a book from him .He tied a fly for my daughter Really spent some time with us.I was good angler prior having fished since a young kid and fished from N Ontario to key west.The fly fishing bug took and here i am still in the thick of it and learn something new every time i fish or tie a new pattern.

We had a great little show near me at a the local high school that ended with covid.Small vendors shined and local guides and shops could afford spots.They are moving it to a convention center and am sure it will price out the little guys.The shows always were an event  and helped in the late winter to get ready for spring.A walk thru the big box store just doesn't do it.

I like to watch online tie competition between Tom and Tim.

Not only for flies but how tease each other. Both have great sense of humour. Not sure I am interested to attend any FF shows but totally agree with @DFoster that buying online is hit and miss.

I was lucky to be disappointed just a few times so far. It would be really great to touch/hold item before purchase. I am old style but more and more I am forced to buy gear or materials on Internet. Shops here in Vancouver stopped stocking flyfishing and flytying supplies/gear and most of the shops are at the brink of crash. Online stores are bette stocked.

3 hours ago, Philly said:

A belated glad to have met you.

Likewise, was close to the time you were packing it up. I am the ugly bald older looking guy with the white/gray beard USN-Retired from Connecticut. I used the show more of a social event along with finding some materials.

14 hours ago, Zoran said:

I like to watch online tie competition between Tom and Tim.

Not only for flies but how tease each other. Both have great sense of humour. Not sure I am interested to attend any FF shows but totally agree with @DFoster that buying online is hit and miss.

I was lucky to be disappointed just a few times so far. It would be really great to touch/hold item before purchase. I am old style but more and more I tim am forced to buy gear or materials on Internet. Shops here in Vancouver stopped stocking flyfishing and flytying supplies/gear and most of the shops are at the brink of crash. Online stores are bette stocked.

Obviously  the trend toward online shopping is moving forward and there will come a day when for some products on line may be the only option.   It's a cold, impersonal process which is fine if I'm buying light bulbs, not so much if I'm looking for waders.   For me time spent in a fly shop  is often a learning experience that gets completely eliminated when buying online.  Knowledgeable sales staff can offer insight and opinions and many times have presented me with a better option that I had not considered.  The thought of Amazon drones one day callously dropping things at my front door is actually kind of sad. 

I find it interesting and fun reading the different thoughts on the symposium.

I remember going to the first Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, NJ. My late friend Leon had exhibitor's passes for us and that turned out to be a good thing. We arrived when the show's opening day was in full swing. Our passes allowed us to walk right in. The line of the visitors was rather long and they were on what I will call the "wait list". The attendance was at full capacity for the building!! When a specific number of people left...that same number of new attendees were allowed in. It was packed to say the least, and the money was flowing into the vendors pockets. It really was great fun and an amazing experience.

It was the same for the first IFTS...CROWED to say the least. I saw a lot of tyers who were acquaintances and friends, so the show became an annual social event for me. As my interest in Classic Atlantic Salmon grew I got to know a number of those folks as well. Unfortunately it seems that most of those tyers no longer attend and I miss that specific group of friends that share the same passion for those flies.

All that being said...I am certain both shows now bring the same excitement to many members of the sport like the early ones did for me. At this time, I plan to go to the Lancaster Fly Fishing Show in March. It is the closest one by far for me to attend, plus it is in a smaller more intimate venue. Since I am getting around with 2 canes, that makes for a better experience than the larger halls.

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

All that being said...I am certain both shows now bring the same excitement to many members of the sport like the early ones did for me. At this time, I plan to go to the Lancaster Fly Fishing Show in March. It is the closest one by far for me to attend, plus it is in a smaller more intimate venue. Since I am getting around with 2 canes, that makes for a better experience than the larger halls.

The first time I went to one was in 1997.  It was held in Secaucus, NJ.  I think that was a year or two before the show moved to Somerset. It looks like the Fly Fishing show in NJ is going to be in Edison rather than Somerset.  I've never been to the Lancaster show.  Main reason is my salt water club doesn't have a table at that show.  It's located in Ocean City, NJ and figures it's easier to recruit new members at the NJ show.  As far as distant goes Somerset and Lancaster are about the same driving distance and travel time.  Edison adds another 30 or 40 miles to the trip.  I liked it better when both shows were held in Somerset.

1 hour ago, Philly said:

The first time I went to one was in 1997.  It was held in Secaucus, NJ.  I think that was a year or two before the show moved to Somerset. It looks like the Fly Fishing show in NJ is going to be in Edison rather than Somerset.  I've never been to the Lancaster show.  Main reason is my salt water club doesn't have a table at that show.  It's located in Ocean City, NJ and figures it's easier to recruit new members at the NJ show.  As far as distant goes Somerset and Lancaster are about the same driving distance and travel time.  Edison adds another 30 or 40 miles to the trip.  I liked it better when both shows were held in Somerset.

Philly - I have the same issue with Edison. I just won't add those extra miles and time when I will only stay at the show somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Lancaster is less than 90 minutes for me , and that is doable. - George