Fly Tying
Radoslav Kiskinov

Chub flyfishing in Laboratory

Hi, guys, how are you?

Let me tell you what happened to me two days ago, when I was flyfishin in a pond near my home town Sandanski.

The pond is not that big may be like a school yard, an year ago it was just used for irrigating the fields by the farmers who had their lands there. There was not fish in it. But me and two friends of me decided to put some chubs, which we caught from Struma river, my home river, and to put them in the pond. The chubs were about half pound not more then this weight, about may be 10 inches.

I decided to explore the habits of chub, and how the acept the flies I tye, and this way the pond became my Laboratory of testings of flies.

And two days ago I go there to see what had happened for this spent year, how big have they gorwn.

And I was amazed of the veiw that opened in front of my eyes, oh my god, there were many chubs flowing near the ponds cost, that were almost 1 kg (about 2 punds).

I have to behave like a stone not to scare them.

user posted image

The food there was many little baby frogs and beetles, they were everywhere arround:

user posted image user posted image

So I took a beetle fly of mine:

user posted image

and start to search for some hungry chub...

I found it right after some attempts, just behind a bush.

user posted image

It was very figthing one, but my loving precious servant-girl, my flyrod, was just

user posted image

starting to dance her favourite twist, when the fish got tired and came to my hands

user posted image

It was a baby chub about 1 pound

user posted image

But was very beautifull one.

When I released him back, I wished to catch his grandparents next time i go there.

I wish you do the same next time you go flyfishing!

Best to you all!

Rado

great shots of those beautiful fallfish/chub

I just love those fish

caught a few virginia fallfish this weekend

but I have to say, your setting looks a little bit nicer

Hey Rado,

I really like the look of your beetle fly, very nice. Turning a fishless irrigation pond into a beatiful productive fishing pond is quite an accomplishment, congratulations.

I always look forward to your next post.

Graham

Hi, Dble Haul, jschmidt63, FL H2O, steeldrifter, Graham,

Guys, for me it is pleasure to write and share with you, I am happy that you like it.

Hej, jschmidt63, so the chub there in Virginia you call fallfish?

Steeldrifter, yes for me it was a surprise to find out the difference after only one year. Some of the bigger I caought looked like little carps, with biiiig heavy stomachs.

Graham, buddy, I'm happy you liked the beetle. I think I showed it once here step-by-step, I cant remember now. It is really easy for tying, and I tye it very fast, for 3 minutes I ties 2 beetles wink.gif

And the chubs really like it and eat it like a little child popcorn.

Best to you all guys!

Rado

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Jun 1 2005, 10:44 AM)
Yup you did a step by step on one of your beatles awhile back Rado, heres the post that has it in it.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7597&hl=

Yes, steeldrifter,

that is it, thanks.

If you do not mind I would like to write you a personal message, may I?

Best regarsds!

Rado

Rado

Yeah some folks in Virginia refer to the chub as a fallfish. There is a guide in Edinburg Virginia that is a long time flyfisherman/guide with his own shop with flies, equip and his own videos (Murrays Fly Shop). I have his smallmouth video where he catches many smallmouth and what he refers to as fallfish, the chubs. Many flyfisherman around here also call them fallfish, not sure of the origin of this name.

QUOTE (jschmidt63 @ Jun 6 2005, 11:46 AM)
Rado

Yeah some folks in Virginia refer to the chub as a fallfish. There is a guide in Edinburg Virginia that is a long time flyfisherman/guide with his own shop with flies, equip and his own videos (Murrays Fly Shop). I have his smallmouth video where he catches many smallmouth and what he refers to as fallfish, the chubs. Many flyfisherman around here also call them fallfish, not sure of the origin of this name.

Hi, jschmidt63,

I am confused now, please, explane to me, the chubs there you call fallfish, I undersend this.

But those smallmouth bass, are not they some kind of bass? Or they are, I mean the small mouth, they are chubs too?

I will be happy to understand, becaouse here in BG we do not have such species like bass, and I am curious to understand.

Thanks!

Best regards!

Rado

Rado,

I like the way you affectionately name your fly rod

It was very fighting one, but my loving precious servant-girl, my fly rod, was just starting to dance her favorite twist

You have a way with words; it places a great image in my mind. The description was great and so were the pictures.

Thanks for keeping us informed about the other side of the world.

If only the world leaders could get a fly rod and all go fishing together, they might realize there is a brotherhood that is more important than all the garbage they fight over.

Conehead

Promote world peace, go flyfishing, and enjoy each other

QUOTE (conehead @ Jun 8 2005, 09:06 AM)
Rado,

I like the way you affectionately name your fly rod

It was very fighting one, but my loving precious servant-girl, my fly rod, was just starting to dance her favorite twist

You have a way with words; it places a great image in my mind. The description was great and so were the pictures.

Thanks for keeping us informed about the other side of the world.

If only the world leaders could get a fly rod and all go fishing together, they might realize there is a brotherhood that is more important than all the garbage they fight over.

Conehead

Promote world peace, go flyfishing, and enjoy each other

Conehead, you are damn right man. I like each word you said above. You aer a good man, and if you were a Congressman, a deputy, here in Bulgaria, I would vote for you wink.gif

Thanks for the kind words about my rod too. I feel it very precious for me, becouse I am from the people who fasten to their equipments very tight, and for me she, my girl laugh.gif , my unique rod is like an alive creature.

In bulgarian language I am further descriptive and like to give comparisons to the things, but I am happy that I can explane even the half of it in english and people uderstand what I want to say.

Oh, where is now my english teacher to read all this here, I think she will be proud of me, did I ever say that my english is bad, beacouse of that my teacher was a bad girl laugh.gif

Next time I write a strory I will write it for you special!

Best to you buddy!

Cheers!

Rado - the english speaking bulgarian guy:lol:

QUOTE (Radoslav Kiskinov @ Jun 8 2005, 03:41 AM)
QUOTE (jschmidt63 @ Jun 6 2005, 11:46 AM)
Rado

Hi, jschmidt63,

I am confused now, please, explane to me, the chubs there you call fallfish, I undersend this.

But those smallmouth bass, are not they some kind of bass? Or they are, I mean the small mouth, they are chubs too?

I will be happy to understand, becaouse here in BG we do not have such species like bass, and I am curious to understand.

Thanks!

Best regards!

Rado

Rado

If I understand it correctly chubs, or fallfish, are Semotilus corporalis, and are native to Eastern coast of North America, From Canada and south and east of the Appalachian Mountains to Virginia. I would expect your chub is a similar species, same genis.

user posted image

The Smallmouth Bass - Micropterus dolomieui (Lacepede), is native to the fresh waters of eastern and central North America (Ohio mostly), and has been introduced to almost the entire United States and many other parts of the world. It was introduced into my state of Virginia in the late 1800's if I remember correctly.

user posted image