Fly Tying
lukemccoy.com

Wrapping Peacock Herl

I've been having problems wrapping peacock herl on smaller hook and wondered if anyone had any tips. As I'm wrapping it it will just snap and I have to start the fly all over again. I'm using my rotary vice and my figers or small light hackle pliers. I seem to just get lucky if it doesn't snap before I reach the front of the hook and tie it off.

I was also looking at a Cabela's and see something called Peacock Herl Brush

Peacock Herl Brush

Adds durability to flies that use peacock herl. Easier to wrap than single herls. Three 14" strands let you tie dozens of flies. Great for tying smaller flies faster and more efficiently.

Has anyone use this stuff and does it come out looking just like regular herl?

are you tyin it in at the very tip?

If so thats why its breakin. Cut some off the tip and then try tyin it in. This may help you??

Jarrod

I've tried tying from the more flexiable end, the tip I guess, and then tried firther down to the base where its sturdier. I might just be that I need some more practice with it, I'm going to try and whip some flies up today with it.

Tie it by the bottom end.Aslo, try spinning your thread till it is flat. This helps me. I use to have a problem with the thread cutting though the herl but this helps.

Also try tying in 3 pieces of peacock herl and twist them into a rope then wrap them around the hook shank. That will give the herl more stability.

Jim

I cut the tips, tie in three (or more depending on what size body yer after) and wrap them in a dubbin loop, spin it up and wrap. nice appearance and bulletproof body. well, until about fifteen fishm mucnh it, but by then it's all good and I'm more than pleased to tie on another.

mgj

peacock herl becomes brittle with age. do you know how old the herl your using is? i actually had some i had to throw. it was so old it would just fall apart trying to do any type of hook work with it. if your opening the bag and their are little pieces broken off inside the storage bag. it's to old !!!!

Bud

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them. Also the herl is new, I just bought it so I don't think age is a problem. I also saw on another board someone mention to soak the herl in water for 10-15 minutes before using it. Plus I'm going to order somne of that Herl Brush and try it out.

The herl brush is cool, I have some, but it doesn't come in reall small sizes. Just tie the herl in at the base then grab it down from the tip a bit and wrap it. I have found wrapping it by hand is a bit better than using the rotary on my vise for herl.

Thanks, I just did 4 of the Red Griff's for the swap and didn't have a problem with any of them popping. I just started from the base end this time. I guess that was my problem.

And thanks SD, I was wondering how small or big the brush is...I'm going to order some anyway jsut to check it out.

When you attach the thread to the hook, leave a long tag of thread trailing off the back of the hook, assuming no tail on the fly. Tie in 3-4 strands of herl by the tips, or tip ends, not the base on the herl. Then take the tag end of the thread, and the herl, put in hackle pliers and spin. You will need the "coax" the herl to twist near the body, by hand twisting, after spinning the pliers. Twist to the "consistency" you desire. 1-2 turns of lightly twisted herl on the hook seems to reduce breakage. As you turn on the hook, even a herl that breaks, at that point, is not a problem, as the thread in the "rope" will keep it from upwrapping completely.

If the fly calls for a tail, create a dubbing loop a the point the herl is to begin, and twist the herl strands with the double thread loop.

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

I agree with Flytyer1 on this one, the loop method is the most durable herl body I've tied yet and its easy and less frustrating to work with.

You've got to see the method of reinforcing peacock with the tying thread and wrapping them on the fly with a rotary vice that Paul Stimson's wife uses on one of Al Beatty's Gary La Fontaine tying tapes. It's the quickest, easiest, and strongest reinforcement method I've ever seen, AND the most precise at placing the peacock on the hook. I'll try to explain it:

Tie the peacock herls on the hook by the tips.

Hold the peacock AND the tying thread together straight out in front of the hook eye about three inches or so (or however much of the herl you need to tie on).

Turn the rotary vice slowly (holding on to the herl and the thread - still straight out from the hook eye) until the rope becomes as tight as you want it. Too tight and, of course, the herl will break.

Then simply bring the herl and thread rope toward you (perpendicular to the hook shank) and turn the rotary vice while guiding the rope where you want it on the fly.

It's so easy and accurate. Maybe Al will read this and explain it better than I can.