Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Gallant

Preparing a fly for framing and shipping

Hoping to get some advice here...

I've got a few flies now that I need to frame and ship to some friends... I want the fly to survive the bumps, rattles, vibrations, etc that it is bound to encounter along the way that may cause some of the feathers to move around, separate, etc...

Other than hope, does anyone have any suggestions? Things I've thought about, and would love to hear comments on, are:

1) using some wax or cement at "strategic" points to lock parts of the feathers together

2) finding some overall spray that might lock in the feathers permanently (ie: some sort of clear sealer that I could spray on, that wouldn't affect the feathers' look and feel, or ruin the overall look)

Anyone have any ideas, secrets, suggestions, good wishes, etc?

Hi Adam,

If I'm reading your post correctly, you want to frame these and then send them. If that's the case, you shouldn't worry what may happen to the fly since it should have double protection from the frame and by the way that you're packing it to send. 

For ideas on framing other than Riker frames, hobby store frames etc. Check this guy's blog out. He doesn't post here. He posts over at Clarks Classic a lot and probably is on FB. He does lots of good framing on all kinds of flies. I think that he has step by step instructions for framing  some place on his blog too. I don't know if you can even embed links on this forum any longer so the link is :    https://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/2020/

Regards,

Mark

May not be classy enough for your salmon flies but I’ve made a few shadow boxes. My DD gave me one that had canvas over cardboard so I had to layout and drill some lil  holes to wire the flies on.

7A68AD16-CA59-4A1B-8EAF-E033A3357AC5.jpeg

1FF2733A-05C1-412F-AC6E-1ED29E1A7774.jpeg
I found some hinged boxes with batten at HobbyLobby for half price.  I added cardboard to increase the pressure when closed so the flies don’t move.  I’ve made some by gluing cork or foam cylinders to hold the flies but that prolly wouldn’t ship well.  Guy gave me a heavy pocket knife display frame that I intend to get thick batten and do it.   DD found a very old one I made back in 60s with plastic covered deal. You can cast stuff in resin too.  Hope you can’t read my name on the duck stamps. 👍 

90EAEF53-F53B-40ED-83F4-7531904F307D.jpeg

60577E0D-9191-4480-9C65-51C64CBA0417.jpeg

DA3BBCCB-6AA5-406E-ADD5-98A22D9AD6F4.jpeg

69008530-6F10-42BE-A479-5CAD0F4BF8B2.jpeg

75D843D5-376E-4E17-87B0-EF421298C9A6.jpeg

2 hours ago, denduke said:

You can cast stuff in resin too.

I like those cast resin toilet seats in photo #6.  I gonna try that!

2 hours ago, denduke said:

You can cast stuff in resin

denduke are you using lucite for resin and do you have to wet out the flies to remove air bubbles or use a pressure chamber?

That’s a bracelet😏😛

No,  flies etc are dry.   Just careful mixing hardener to keep bubble to minimum.  HobbyLobby resin/hardener 1/2 and1/2.

This is a normal concern when mounting and shipping flies. Personally I've just packed and sent the flies and I've never heard any complaints from the recipients.
I've attached a couple of photos for you to get a look at how I mount flies after they are finished.
These aren't all tied by me...the hairwing Green Highlander is by Megan Boyd. That photo shows the clear glass beads the fly is sitting on, held in place by fine black ultra wire.
The Popham is in one of the clear plastic boxes John McLain sells along with the base to fit. The fly is sitting on a double layer of white felt cloth.

Hope this helps in some fashion.

DSC_0002 (2).jpg

DSC_0005 (2).jpg

DSC_0017 (2).jpg

DSC_0003 (2).jpg

Ok, well, my first framed fly. It's a custom fly for an old uncle, from a place on PEI called "The crick", or the creek, which is slang for North Rustico... Ignore the lighting, taken on top of the washing machine with an evening sun...

20230326_164658.jpg

Looks great.  

2 hours ago, Adam Gallant said:

taken on top of the washing machine with an evening sun..

LOL - Now you know the proper way of photographing a framed salmon fly.  

3 hours ago, Adam Gallant said:

my first framed fly

Nice Adam I am sure he will love receiving that, Hope he doesn't use it in the Morell better send a few hairwings with it 🙂

On 3/22/2023 at 9:36 AM, SalarMan said:

This is a normal concern when mounting and shipping flies. Personally I've just packed and sent the flies and I've never heard any complaints from the recipients.
I've attached a couple of photos for you to get a look at how I mount flies after they are finished.
These aren't all tied by me...the hairwing Green Highlander is by Megan Boyd. That photo shows the clear glass beads the fly is sitting on, held in place by fine black ultra wire.
The Popham is in one of the clear plastic boxes John McLain sells along with the base to fit. The fly is sitting on a double layer of white felt cloth.

Hope this helps in some fashion.

DSC_0002 (2).jpg

DSC_0005 (2).jpg

DSC_0017 (2).jpg

DSC_0003 (2).jpg

When mine came from George, it was perfect and beautiful. Still is.

On 3/18/2023 at 10:23 AM, mvendon said:

Hi Adam,

If I'm reading your post correctly, you want to frame these and then send them. If that's the case, you shouldn't worry what may happen to the fly since it should have double protection from the frame and by the way that you're packing it to send. 

For ideas on framing other than Riker frames, hobby store frames etc. Check this guy's blog out. He doesn't post here. He posts over at Clarks Classic a lot and probably is on FB. He does lots of good framing on all kinds of flies. I think that he has step by step instructions for framing  some place on his blog too. I don't know if you can even embed links on this forum any longer so the link is :    https://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/2020/

Regards,

Mark

I actually was a member here long ago, and just kind or re-activated my membership.  Thank you for the very kind words.

Gary