Fly Tying
flytire

Record lake trout

Holy crap, that's huge.  

I used to fish for them up in the Quabbin, kind of like reeling in an old tire IMO.    

That lake trout is huge, it must have a 10 pound burbot or whitefish in its belly. Lakers are like people some are long and skinny and some fat. I caught a 20 pounder trolling with hearing and once out of the water it had a tail sticking out of its mouth, probably a 4 to 5 lb burbot half digested.

Lakers usually dive down to deep water once hooked so it can be like pulling up a tire or weight form the bottom. There's a lake here in the Yukon (Dezadeash Lake) where i target them with a fly rod. I think the deepest part of the lake is 15ft. I wade out in about 3 ft where a creek flows in to the lake, there seeking cooler water and catch them on the fly, awesome fishing, ill see scholls of 20 swim by and the fight is totally different almost like having a salmon on, they take huge runs, nowhere to dive. Anyway they are between 10 to 30lbs, no 70+ pounder there.

Check youtube for Dezadeash Lake, quite a few fishing videos. People pay big bucks to fish there, im lucky enough that's only an hour and a bit drive for me to slay those lakers

That sounds more fun than what I used to do. 

I'd to go out with my neighbor on his boat on a deep (90+ ft) reservoir. Don't remember now how far down we were trolling.  Pretty boring, looking back.  You knew right away if you had a salmon or a laker on.  The salmon were fun.

On 5/10/2023 at 6:36 AM, niveker said:

Holy crap, that's huge.  

I used to fish for them up in the Quabbin, kind of like reeling in an old tire IMO.    

Nivecker, we used to go out to Isle Royale when I lived in northern MN and had the cruiser. Like Upnorthtier said, there's different kind of Lakers. The Siskowet, or we called them fats, would be almost as round as they long, had little fight other than their size, and caught them to 30#s. If you cleaned one (a mistake) the strips of fat between the meat were about equal sized. Then there was the strain out there we primarily fished for that was called the Redfin. It was more like a big pike in being long, relatively thin, and very strong fighter. Most of the time the way we caught them was with heavier bass tackle and braided line when it came out and deep jigging the reefs off the Island. Most of the fish we kept for smoking and canning were in the 15-20# area and I had an old Finlander that would love it when I just brought him the heads for his Kalamojakka (Fish Stew or soup) before I smoked the meat. 

Isle Royale.JPG

SCAN0002 (2).JPG

That sounds like fun, Nick.  

4 hours ago, vicrider said:

there's different kind of Lakers

Not sure of the kind we have in the water I was fishing, other than the lazy kind.  I think the record for that reservoir is 25# or so, but they have caught them in up to 30# in their occasional surveys. 

They began stocking in the 50's.  A beautiful place, but highly regulated.