Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
terp

Boat Set-Up For Fly Tying?

I just bought a drift boat and would love to be able to tie on it.  I'm thinking a c-clamp would be best, but on what surface?  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Seems like kind of a strange idea but to each his own. You might need to improvise a setup to clamp your vise, then remove it to fish. I'm thinking of a bar across the gunnels that would mount in the oar locks on each side, then pop out and get stored to row and fish. 

Might need an extended stem or other raised platform  to raise the vise high enough.  Jack Gartside somehow attached a vise to the steering wheel of his cab so he could tie when he didn't have a fare.  Will be interesting to see what you come up with. 

there are different kinds of "drift boats"

without knowing what you have, nobody can really give you a good answer

post a photo of your boat

if i had a rift boat i'd be fishing and leave the tying duties at home or wherever i'd be staying

I have tied outside in a camp setting it poses different issues, mainly the wind, weather, & lighting (after sunset) moved to a tailgate setup in a travel box my vise was a c clamp model attached to the box for mobility and stability. Use your imagination and be flexible to be able to adapt your set up, hope the boat is big enough to accommodate your intensions that's always the problem with boats, a small boat is easily transported and maneuvered to fish but lacks the room to do everything you intend. I have had seen a few 12-foot tuna boats (kayaks loaded for everything)

Congrats on your boat purchase I’m sure you will enjoy it. I’ve owned many boats but never tied out of one so I can’t help you there. I can offer suggestions on how to eat a hoagie. 

Thanks for comments.

Poopdeck, I love hoagies. Are you from Philly?

I bought a used one of these: https://www.boulderboatworks.com/river-skiff/

I am addicted to fly tying and often wish I could tie while in the stream, especially if there is a hatch and I am short on flies. It may not be practical but I’d like to give it a shot. 

21 minutes ago, terp said:

Thanks for comments.

Poopdeck, I love hoagies. Are you from Philly?

I bought a used one of these: https://www.boulderboatworks.com/river-skiff/

I am addicted to fly tying and often wish I could tie while in the stream, especially if there is a hatch and I am short on flies. It may not be practical but I’d like to give it a shot. 

From the Philly burbs. Thats a nice boat and you’re gonna love fishing out of it. I can’t get my boat out enough. 

Which burbs?  I’m from Doylestown 

scrapple, cheese steak (with steak’um), soft pretzels, Yuengling

Yes, 20 years ago.  Hard to believe.  But where I live now (Sacramento), there is some great fishing nearby.  

I went to CB West.

You know there is a CB South now to go with the East and West. It’s why West lost its football dominance. That and Coach Pettine retiring with his 326-42-4 record. 

Yes when I was a student we were undefeated the whole time. Petrine was the main reason. CB South didn’t exist.