Fly Tying
gutshot_again

Gehrke's Fly Cement Toolset - Orbs & Winkers

I'm very new to fly tying and obtained materials and tools from a neighbor.  It's been around awhile as a lot of the hooks and materials (some tools) are Herter's.   It included a Gehrke's Fly Cement Toolset.  Orbs & Winkers. 

I'm not sure what this is used for.  It's new in the box, has 6 tools in it.  Box a little beat up, but the tools are mint.  Can anyone provide a link or something to explain what I would use it for?

Thank you

a picture is worth a thousand words

i have no idea what orbs and winkers are. neither does google

1 hour ago, RickZieger said:

Can you post a picture? Would make it easier to describe what you can use the tools for.

Rick 

58 minutes ago, flytire said:

a picture is worth a thousand words

i have no idea what orbs and winkers are. neither does google

Thought it might be easier (and much quicker since my computer skills are somewhat lacking) to post a link of the same thing.  The only difference between mine and the one pictured is mine is new, unused.  No directions came with.  I also tried looking at google for 'orbs and winkers' and got nothing back either.

I do appreciate it.  Not sure I'll ever use it, but would like to know what it is.  By the way, I got from the deceased gentleman's widow so no help there either.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-gehrkes-fly-cement-toolset-3868956967

Edited to add: Three of the tools have wire of different sizes.  Three of the tools have loops at the end of the wires, also of different sizes.  Thanks again.

Edited by gutshot_again
more info

to my eyes they look like a set of different size bodkins that would be used to apply head cement to different areas of a fly

dip the loop end into head cement for a different size drop and apply

'Orbs and winkers' rang a faint bell.  With the photo I remember a discussion of these things here or on another forum a while back.  If I remember correctly, flytire is correct. I'll see if I can find that discussion. 

The orbs apply head cement, the winkers clear cement from your hook eye. The inventor says, a dubbing needle is for dubbing... Not sure about that, but it's a cool little tool set anyway. It's a keeper for sure. The flymph forum is the place you're thinking of niveker, you can get to the discussion by searching "orbs".

Here's a pic of the directions

IMG-0268.thumb.jpg.f89d3e3b9a57a37eab6bf5dc1201b87e.jpg

Here's the tool set. Three different sizes of each, I suppose corresponding to a hook range.

IMG-0270.thumb.jpg.7cd937a5ccde6615d080db2f483a6718.jpg

32 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

The orbs apply head cement, the winkers clear cement from your hook eye. The inventor says, a dubbing needle is for dubbing... Not sure about that, but it's a cool little tool set anyway. It's a keeper for sure. The flymph forum is the place you're thinking of niveker, you can get to the discussion by searching "orbs".

Here's the tool set. Three different sizes of each, I suppose corresponding to a hook range.

@chugbug27 for the win!

3 minutes ago, Sandan said:

flymph forum is the place you're thinking of niveker

Thanks Chug, I was just about to go searching.  

14 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Thank you.  My toolset is exactly the same as yours - thank you for posting a close up.  I will print out the image of the directions and put it with the toolset.  Thank you for taking a picture and posting the instructions.

Not sure if I'll use it or not.  If not, it'll be an nice addition to other fly tying & fishing oddities I have on a shelf as a simple display.

Ah, I did not mean to imply they were mine, sorry. The pics were from the post I mentioned on the flymph forum, it was Mike62 who posted them.

42 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Ah, I did not mean to imply they were mine, sorry. The pics were from the post I mentioned on the flymph forum, it was Mike62 who posted them.

It's cool.  Thank you Mike62 on flymph.  However, you took the time and effort to post them, you didn't have to.  Thank you.