Fly Tying
DarrellP

Flatwing flies for freshwater bass?

I have been thinking about LMB.  I was looking at flatwing flies, and they should work kind of like a plastic worm, shouldn't they.  Anyone tried them on LMB?  I realize that they are far more elegant,  but that is sort of the point.

I can't say that I've tried flatwings for LMBs but I have have caught both Large and Small mouth using Atlantic Salmon/Steel Head flies.  I like tying those flies but the closest Steel Head are a 6 hour car ride for me.  Bass are everywhere and typically eat anything that looks like fry.  I would be very surprised if flatwings didn't work at least to some degree.  

Yes, I have used them for LMB with good results, also for trolling lakes and ponds. try a few with weighted heads for a jig action.

15 hours ago, DarrellP said:

I have been thinking about LMB.  I was looking at flatwing flies, and they should work kind of like a plastic worm, shouldn't they.  Anyone tried them on LMB?  I realize that they are far more elegant,  but that is sort of the point.

Please show me some.

I will have to wait until our stuff gets here from Oregon.   We have been here for two weeks while waiting on the moving truck.

I've dabbled  bit with flat wing flies - but for barracuda... not bass.  I have had some success with my saltwater and brackish water patterns on largemouth and peacock bass (as well as all of the exotics that populate our freshwater canals down here in south Florida.).   Here's one pattern that does most of what a flatwing does when fished and in fact was my attempt to mimic that old standby for bass - the black plastic worm... more than 35 years ago now.   When we lived on a canal years ago this pattern worked well on largemouths (and big ones...).  Today it's called the Tarpon Snake, done up on a big stout 4/0 hook  and is our go to for big tarpon in rivers and other places (and also one of my remaining royalty patterns with Umpqua...).  Change out the hook for something suitable for bass and make it in several sizes and you should do well with it....   Note the wire weedguard - very handy in the places where bass of every size live... My anglers have been successful with nearly every color you can imagine - from plain black to fl. Pink and even red and white with this fly fished slow and deep for big fish (including big snook and sharks as well as tarpon).  The ones I used to do for bass were always worked in or close to heavy cover of some kind... 

9rpjl3t.jpg

this is the baitfish version, the original to follow

ARPzAju.jpg

Here's the original Tarpon Snake - it's an all saddle hackle pattern - eight for the tail and three for the palmered body...   big beadchain eyes, the tail is done "deceiver" style not splayed.  The wire weedguard (for a 4/0 hook) is #5 trolling wire Malin's coffee colored stainless.

Thank you for your replies.   I can't wait to tie flatweings or Tarpon snakes and Seducers.  I have also been looking at Tabry's snake flies for LMB.  Seems most salt patterns should work with minor modifications.

Ah ha, now I know what you are talking about. Nice stuff. I have tied them and used them for a lot of things, pike mostly. Thanks.