Fly Tying

Whatcha think?

I seen a new product in the new Hareline catalog and was wondering what you guys might think about it. The product is called "Magic Minnow Tails" which is a piece of suede(I believe) that is precut and shaped into the rear half of a minnow. I think that they only come in white,gray or black so any coloring would have to be done on your own.

I have always be an advocate for new synthetics but this product is something that I just don't know if I could bring myself to use. I'm not saying it would not be considered a fly but something doesn't feel right when I look at it for some reason. I have just got done "tying" 60 krystal eggs where you just take a premade ball of yarn and stick it on a hook and add a dab of glue so I am not criticizing anyone using this product. I just cant see myself using it personally. If you have used them or plan on using them, don't be shy I would love to know your thoughts either way.

what do you guys think about it? I think we can talk about this without starting a flame war.

Here is the product: http://www.hareline.com/NEWJPEG06/ut.jpg

and here are some samples of finished flies: http://www.hareline.com/NEWJPEG06/ut3.jpg

Very interesting.

In my state it used to be when fishing flyfishing only waters the fly must be made of fur feathers string or tinsle only, anything else(rubber, latex,foam) would cost you a steep fine.

I dont know what the regs. read now, but I stick to the old rules to be safe.

In flyfishing other waters where anything can be used---If it catches fish cool beans

Gotta be better than usin live crawdads- right? :P :P :P

Duckydoty

I think its cool. To me it is no different than using hair, marabou, rabbit strip, or anything else attached to the end of the hook as a tail. Thanks for the tip on the new product, they look like some fish catching flies

Smallie,

Do you feel the same about the plastic curly tails that you can tie on woolly buggers instead of marabou? I did tie a couple of buggers with those a year or so ago. Wasn't too impressed.

Joe

If they sold a template, made tyers cut each piece of leather before tying on, it would seem more like a fly tying product. At least they don't come pre-colored. If they catch fish, they'll sell, especially if they nail bass.

I've seen some hot crawdad patterns tyed with cut leather for the head and claws, but usually more materials are tyed on the hook to make it a fly. Now that I think about it, I tyed some leeches years ago that are a thin strip of soft tan leather tyed in a hook. At least I cut the strips..lol..

Graham

Flip flop foam, paint brush bristles, mylar cord, metal hooks, where will the madness stop?

Dave Whitlock has been tying a crawdad imitation for many years (since mid-80's that I know of) and it utilizes cut pieces of shaved rabbit skin. Very good imitation. I watched Ben Furimsky tie some minnow patterns in a booth a couple of years ago using Flexi-Cord and cut chamois for tails, similar to the pictures you showed. It is a very realistic fly. Phil Camera and his disciples have been using synthetics for many years to tie flies and fool fish.

Whether you choose to use the product(s) or not, does not matter to me in the least. What we must remember is that we still must attach these products to a hook to imitate somthing that will catch the fish.

It is the same argument that started in the '80's when people like John Betts, Roman Moser and others were tying flies entirely out of synthetics to fool fish, and I am sure the argument started prior to that. At what point do we as fly tiers and fly fishermen draw the line?

If I could come up with a fly that fooled fish using this material, I would use it.

If it worked really well i would use it without hesitation. To me a fly can be more than just fur and feathers. I think it's ok to use synthetice material as lon as their are fur and feathers to go with it. To me it's no different than using metal eyes along with bucktail.

Personally, I would never use those things. Some people will and be proud of the "fly" they tied, but I think gadgets like this don't encourage tyers to get better as fly tyers. You might as well just use a jig and spinning gear.

I have to agree. This to me seems to require less skill. I personaly would not use them on flies.

I don't think they're any different the foam body material that people use for mayflies or damsels. That being said, Not something I'll tie for myself but if guys ask me to tie them flies with them I'll probably look into them if they're cost effective. If they're priced like the Pettijon magic heads I still won't be using them though.

I probably wouldn't use it, even though I use a ton of synthetics. If I want that accurate a minnow imiation, I'd arve it and use a spinning rod, but that's been done...

Still stuck in Texarkana....

Mark Delaney

So what is everyones thoughts on Kreel Klaws? you know those premade suede "claws" for crawfish patterns. I use them but I really don't like the fact I have to buy the things instead of cutting them out myself. Those minnow tails are different though, I will not use them.

MB82- kreel claws are made by the same people. I had good luck on a crayfish pattern using the kreel claw (Single claw off the back of the hook) that I got from one of the tying members (sorry cant remember the name). Very cool pattern. However, I had a cutter made for me and cut my own out of ultrasuede. The cutter does not last very long, ultrasuede is some pretty tought stuff. Looking for a punch and die set up to make them for me.

john