Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Because fly-tiers are brilliant scientists

I found this on a mid-sized lake this weekend as I fished. (I wasn't fly-fishing so-no report. Even if I did catch a 19 inch Smallmouth.)

It was bobbing in the weeds/algae along shore in about a foot of water. It was nearly round at the time, it's sides (top and bottom?) were a bit flattened so it didn't roll when I took it out of the water.

I thought it might be either a mass of frog eggs or a strange new (to me) algae, but I can't figure it out. It was pretty solid, about the consistency of Jell-O gelatin straight out of the fridge, but maybe 50% more firm. When poked it resisted pretty firmly. It was slimy, but the slime didn't stretch off on my finger. (Yes, right after watching the new show "Surface" and after seeing a million mad scientist movies and The Blob, and giving the people in those movies heck for being stupid enough to touch something they couldn't identify, I touched it with my finger. *sigh*)

The clear/white parts of it are opaque and you can just see through it. enough to make out the words on a newspaper. (Moreso before it deflated from assumed dehydration) There is a red substance within it, as well as green (which I think are two different algaes). It had pretty good weight to it, about 2-3 pounds.

Of course, this day started with me forgetting my camera so I knew I'd see something picture worthy. Not having my camera but being totally intrigued I plopped it into a plastic trash bag (always have at least one) and put it in my trunk when I left.

(All the way home I kept hoping not to feel tendrils on the back of my head!)

I fished Saturday and of course didn't take the pics 'til Monday after leaving it in the bag on the back porch. (I was NOT bringing it into the house!) and it had deflated quite a bit, but here are the pictures I took. Part of it had burst open, but nothing was coming out, nor did anything come out when I poked it with a stick. The one with the cell phone is to establish size. Lord I hope I haven't been infected by some alien thingy...

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

(All the way home I kept hoping not to feel tendrils on the back of my head!)

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Mark I have no idea man, that is a bit strange looking :unsure:

Any pics of the 19" smallie? fly or not, thats a nice fish B)

And you poked it with your finger! :bugeyes:

Looks like something for xfiles!

BFR

armyflyfisherman

Napolean doing that dance is nasty!

I'll bet you hunt road kill too! :)

Damn that's nasty - like to think I wouldn't have touched it.

-Bamboo

Call the police! They need to get that to the lab!

I think it's an aquatic plant. Seems like I looked up something like that and another ball, shaped thing I found fishing when I was a kid.

Thats friggen nasty looking :lol: Really doesn't look like a plant though. Maybe its a baby animal, that came out too soon from its mother. Like a baby nutria or something...lol :dunno: :D