Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

I think I am addicted!

Since you folks talked me out of a kit I have amassed quite a bit of materials. I have bought alot of it, but some of it was from folks here that sent me materials out of the kindness of your hearts. For that I thank you all! Alot of the stuff I have bought were materials for flies that you guys posted the knowledge to make. Some taxidermist were good enough to give me hair of all sorts when I asked for them. Everytime I visit a flyshop it seems like I have to buy something that I NEED.

Last night I spent ALOT of time tying some flies for a buddy of mine. I tied 4 dozen wooly buggers in a size 12 with a gold bead, marabou, and pearl chenille. My favorite colors were Root Beer Pearl chenille with tan Marabou. Kinda looks like a molted crawdad. Gotta tie me a bunch of these in different sizes. I was supposed to tie 4 dozen dries up for the same buddy, but my A.D.D. had me making Zonkers..... since I tied my first Zonker earlier today and caught 4 nice bass on my new 9 wt rod this afternoon.

My wife has been really good about it all. In fact I think she likes it because she knows I will save money by tying my own...... of course I hope it doesn't sink in that we have spent close to $700.00 in flytying alone. :bugeyes: I like it alot because there are so many patterns you can tie and use it to fish with when you are done tying it. :lol:

I am pretty much hooked on fly tying. :yahoo:

Step 1- admitting to the problem

Step 2- Sorry, I never got past step one :huh: :hyst:

Welcome to the life long PASSION (word "hobby" is for golfers and joggers) ...known as fly tying :yahoo: ;)

Welcome to the the club, I am glad that you are catching fish on your own flies, to me its the only way to fish. Once you have a pattern that you know catches fish. I think you have way more confidence, and your fishing becomes better. But once you start tying, its hard to stop, you see different flies and want to tie them. The more you tie the better you get. The better you get the more you tie and buy more materials. Addicted yea me too.

On another note, I used to live beside a golf course. They started a new thing there a few years back. Winter golfing. fluorescent orange and chartreuse golf balls. I saw 6 guys out playing in a snow storm. To each there own. Me I doubt it, now if there was fish there

Hey there swamp, good luck in keeping your wife convinced that you are saving money by tying flies. The only other passtime, hobby, passion whatever you want to call it that might be more expensive (and that is a big might) would be a cocaine addiction.

Since you have made your way over to the dark side a hearty :cheers: is in order.

Oh yeah here is fair warning, you will now know what the colours magenta, cerise and fuchsia look like and be able to pick them out with ease amongst all the other "shades of pink and purple". Be careful of craft stores too, they are inherently evil places that tend to steal your money and get you odd glances from all the women you are pushing out of the way for the last ball of fuchsia yarn and pretty glass beads.

:j_k:

One last thing, there is no known cure for this disease. However the symptoms can be eased by drooling over items at fly shops at least once a week. :crazy:

Don't worry we all go through this phase... but like SD says, we never stop going through this phase....LOL

Trust me, $700, that ain't nothing yet...........

Welcome to the club. As several have already mentioned, the $700 is just the beginning. It gets so bad at times that you might have a pile of white marabou at home (more than you could ever use) and when your'e at a store or fly shop you see some on sale and pick up a couple of packs ..... just in case. Same with rods and reels ... you might have 3 5 wts. but you run across one on sale and get it just in case one of the others break. I've asked for nothing but fly "stuff" the past four years for my birthday and Christmas. My name is Greg, and I have a problem. I am getting in some deep poo and I don't see any way out. I love it!

Let us move from addicted to addiction. Trading books for spey lessons. The instructor collects herter. I buy Herter books to trade for my lessons. Seems he has been rather busy here lately and fudging on my lessons. Went into the shop the other day with Fly Tying, Spinning and Tackle Making. (Herter author) Gave it to him. (almost a mint copy) He felt a little guilty. Asked me what feathers I most frequently used?

Informed him that I could equip the fly shop and is there anything he needed. Left it at that. Did inform him it was his last book.

$700 try closer to 10k!!!!

Although, found something that I didn't have the other day. Round rubber legs. Koosh ball and headed out for it before I leave. 4 days and counting.

later

fred

I started tying last year. Now, the first thing that I think of when my wife shows me something in a store is "Hmmm, can I use that in a fly or a popper or something?". I started eyeballing the cat last fall <_< . Now, when she sees me she runs like h... BTW, cat fur makes great dubbing. But for you animal lovers out there, I just use what I get off the brush. The cat is fine. ;)