Fly Tying
fly time

Dr. Slick Bobbin

:angry: I just got me a Dr. Slick bobbin the other day, and this thing is a thread slicin pile of :poop: the ceremac at the tip is like a f@%*&n razor blade, well thats $11.00 shot all to hell. Does anyone else own one of these things? and if so have ya had any probs with it, or is the one that I got the defect outta the bunch? I would rather tie with my fingers than this oile of crap.

I use Dr. Slick scissors and like them a lot. I've been using Materelli bobbins since day one (that was about 27 years ago) and have been very happy with them. They are a bit pricey these days but I personally would use no other.

Dr slick has some bobins that got out that are not belveled on the edge. So they cut thred like crazy take it back for exchange or use it for material. I have gotten a few that way.

Steve Fournier from Dr Slick will take care of you no questions asked. E-mail him on the Dr. Slick site.

As a company, they have some of the best customer service i've expierenced in many years. And in the short amount of time i've been tying, now 90% of my tools are Dr. Slick because of that reason.

As a company, they have some of the best customer service i've expierenced in many years.

Absolutely agree, their respect and support for their customers are remarkable.

Mine don't cut thread yet, but the ceramic insert at the base of the tube fell off both of mine.

I love Dr. Slick scissors but might consider another bobbin manf.

I'm looking at an Ekich auto bobbin actually as I'm having trouble with my Nor-Bobbin (always had problems) I love the vise but the bobbin is a pain in the butt. Going to Ekich I think.

Ive got a ceramic bobbin that has a redish color ceramic insert and I swear to the good lord himsef that freakin thing cuts kevlar :wallbash:

Im not sure the brand of it, but now have several griffin and they are fantastic

Just bought one two weeks ago and haven't had any problem with it, if it's a real problem call their customer service and talk to them. I've heard their CS is excellent.

Fatman

Good Day,

I have too many bobbins to mention! (I think I am near 20 - 25) I have purchased from most of the major manufacturers including Griffin, Dr. Slick, Renzetti, etc. Unfortunately I have had at least one bobbin from each of these manufactures being defective upon purchase. From the old days when the end was either flared or rolled only to the more modern ceramic and jewel tipped bobbins. The defects I have run into with the old styles and ceramic have nearly all been at the tip. The one jeweled that was bad was at the base of the tube. Thankfully I bought them all at local fly shops and there was no problem with exchanging them. If I see a deal at a show, I like to test it first. Most vendors are cool with that. Afterall, they don't want or need bad press or angry customers. Long story short, no one particular manufacturer in my opinion is worse then the other. They all get a few bad eggs from time to time. Seems to me to be a QC issue. Test before packaging.

Steelie