Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Blues Brother

How Many?

Maybe this should be in the lodge, but when you find a good productive pattern, how many do you tie at once? I've seen some guy's fly boxes with like 15 of one pattern. I usually just tie about 3 and have wide variety of patterns in my boxes. What about you guys?

~Bryce

Im one of those guys that tie up a dozen, usually when someone sees ya slayen em you can sell em to em for a heafty profit!!! ;)

I may only carry 3 or 4, but if it's a pattern I believe in, I'll tie 12 at a sitting. I really believe that to get comfortable with a pattern you've gotta tie a bunch of em. I hated dubbing loops til I started tying Murrays' Madtoms. Since I tied a bunch for myself and 16 for the Smallie swap I've actually come to enjoy tying them and they look SOOO much better than the first ones! :headbang:

Fishy

Half dozen dries or nymphs,

1-2 Rangeley Streamers (I'm soooo slow each one takes over an hour and a half)

it all depends on how fast i can tie it. quick ties, i carry more, slower ties i carry less

If I can, I usually try and get a dozen of each pattern in my fly boxes. Larger flies I'm happy with a half dozen of each. If I'm trying a new pattern, I'll make sure that I have a half dozen on hand and if it proves productive, then it gets increased to a dozen. Chronnies are another matter all together as I'll have a couple dozen of each of my favorites in the boxes before I leave the house. When I have to buy flies, I buy each pattern by the dozen. A trip to the fly shop is never cheap. *sigh*

I can never tell when a pattern or variation of a pattern will suddenly take off and become the most heavily used pattern that I have or how many I'll loose during the course of a days fishing so I try to have more than I think I could possibly use. Some get heavily chewed up by the end of a day at the lake.

As far as having a variety of patterns is concerned, I just have a lot of fly boxes in the tool bag I use to carry them.

well if i drink too much homebrew then i usually only tie like 2, but if it is a productive night and pattern i tie as many as i can because i know i will lose them all :)