Fly Tying

Camel Spider from Iraq

OMFG,that thing is a beast!

:baby: :crying: holy ****ing **** i almost crapped my self, i am arachniphobic :baby:

screw putting your boots in a ziplock bag at night I would be zipping myself up in a ziplock.

I encountered these nasty buggers during all three of my tours in the sandbox (1984, 1991,2002). I learned the hard way to check my boots before putting them on in the morning (that thing scared the hell out of me!). I discovered it is a good idea to put your boots in a bag at night.

My second encounter was when I woke up in the morning to find my lower thigh covered in blood. One of these suckers had chewed on me while I slept. They have a numbing agent in their saliva so you don't know they are eating away while you sleep. Luckily, I rolled over on it and crushed it before it could do too much damage. The only real danger with these puppies is from an infected bite since they don't have any venom.

The big ones sure are scary though.......thank goodness they only get to 6-8 inches. :bugeyes:

Here's a good site for more info: http://www.camelspiders.net/

Just imagin being asleep on your cot when WHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That little sucker just bit you in the balls, I can see all your tent mates with tears rolling down their faces from laughing so hard watching you rolling around in pain :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: BE CAREFUL ASH IT COULD BE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care buddy, watch out for a little crazy bastard called my nephew, poor kid can't even legally drive a car yet and he's over there driving a damned tank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatman

I heard a myth they have a numbing venom. so you wouldn't even feel it latch onto the balls haha! they will just be gone in the morning! the balls that is....

I have horrible arachniphobia (I know, a weird characteristic in a fly tyer) and I just need to say... WHAT WERE YOU THINKING! God! That thing is huge! And it is a baby!?!?!? Here in Minnseota the biggest arachnid we get is 3 inches long with legs, at the very maximum. And thoses are enough to get me screaming. LIke they said before, use those M16s. Or call in some artillery. Something to get rid of tehm. It almost looks like it is capable of thought... I wonder if the insurgents are actually lead by one of those... MAybe we should be more worried about the spiders than Osama... Or maybe Osama IS a spider... :o :bugeyes: I know, I am weird, but that comes from being a teen. Great pics, but too scary for me.

My bro-in-law is in Baghdad. He had one fall out of a pant leg while he was putting the pants on. :bugeyes:

When that rock hit, the spider jumped into the air about head level, spinnign end over end. As soon as it hit the ground, it was gone in a flash. There was no time to blink, much less run away or even squeel. There was nothing to stop that thing from running up your body and latch on to your face. Nobody could've reacted quick enuff. Now, sleep well....

If one of you guys ties this thing, DO NOT post it here!!!!! I am a veterinarian, but............the only things I don't like are spiders!!!! I can handle snakes all day; I love to work with them, but spiders scare the heck out of me!!!!

Here in Texas, a place sold next to ours. It was pretty rough country, coyotes, rattlers, mountain lions, you name it. The dentist that bought the ranch came over one day and got to talking. He said his house over there was chewed up by big beetles. I asked how he knew they were beetles and he said there were thumb-sized holes all over the ceilings and up on the walls.

I told him those weren't beetles, but he did have a roach problem. He was unbelieving, and answered back, "It couldn't be roaches because they don't chew holes in walls." I assured him roaches were the culprits, and although they didn't chew up wood, 45 caliber slugs made thumb-sized holes when you were shooting roaches off wherever they were running, walls and ceilings, as our neighbors always did. He stood there for a few minutes with a stunned look on his face, then turned and left without saying much of anything else.

The next week the dentist wife called and said they had decided to sell; she asked if we were interesting in buying. We bought a real nice place that was great for grazing because of a roach and 45 caliber bullet hole problem in the ranch house! I learned to love roaches; ever now and then, they can help you make a profit, but..........I still don't get close to spiders!!!!

Ray

oh MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that gave me the SHIVERS!!!!

i like little spiders but i a had a FREAKIN HUGE wolfie run up my arm while i was moving fire wood OH MY GOSH I FLIPPED. we find HUGE ones all the time

FTB95

look up camel spiders on 'snopes' and 'wikipedia'

Its scary to think of a 16-in. spider latching onto you in the night and eating you while you sleep,

but it ain true

read the 'urban legends' part of the camel spider on wikipedia