Fly Tying
Sturgeon_Catcher

Fall foliage across the.......

I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread.. wanted it in oudoor scenery... Oh well

Hey Fred, thanks, its a Pumkinseed, caught and released in the Adirondacks.

Graham

there shouldn't be any problem at all getting good usable files from your negatives. My Grandma (86 years old now) got one of the original Brownie cameras when they came out and still had all of her negatives. I had access to a scanner that would handle the negatives and basically put 60+ years of photos on my computer. SOme of them had embedded dust that I was able to remove in photoshop. Took some time but in the end I can print some nice photos.

Getting a good B&W print from digital takes a bit more tweaking than getting good results with color does unless you use special inks to print with. Still with time you can get some good results even without the special inks. Just like negatives you gotta be sure your scans have a good tonal range and from there the rest is easy.

Graham you do realize that no one should have as much fun as you are having with those durned dragon flies of yours. I say durned because I am that jealous. What a beautiful knack you have for creating these creatures.

Now for the question. In your observations - is it common for one daragon fly to stand for inspection as your imitations appear to be getting? What I am saying is while at rest - another dragon fly approaches - will the first merely stand and allow an approach from another?

Just curious as have never observed a concentration of these beautiful insects. Such colors and intricacies of structure. All there to see -- with your help of course!!!

Thankx for the pics. and peaking my curiousity? Where would someone possibly investigate an answer to such a question as I have proposed? Why would someone think it - but for your photos!!

later

Fred

Graham, your skills continue to astonish me. Viewing your stuff makes me happy to stick to landscape photography and stay out of your way.

Kargen, thanks for the advice. I look forward to doing a lot of tweaking with Photoshop. After pricing exhibition-quality paper, it's becoming obvious that the cost of Photoshop is small compared to what it would cost me just to get started again the old-fashioned way. Not to mention the fact that the paper I used to use is no longer available, and I'd have to do a lot of experimenting just to find a brand that suits me. I may be dreaming, but my ideal scenario would be to limit myself to developing film, making contact proof sheets, and doing the lab work in Photoshop. Letting someone else do the scanning and printing is fine by me as long as the creative end is still in my hands.

LOL Fred - I haven't been playing enough with the camera - the light's been too harsh the last couple of days - there's a nice hiking trail just up the road that runs along the Neversink River and an abandoned canal that I think I'll hit this weekend early in the AM - should be some good stuff in there - been busy doing some research and trying to figure out the best way to get back in the game and avoid the pitfalls that chased me out last time. (The biggest pitfall being a bad attitude) Guess it's time to order some film and developer and get the show on the road. My wife is pretty tolerant concerning my tendency to procrastinate, but on this subject, she's a tyrant.

Thank you Peterjay and Fred,

I really have figured out a fun way to spend the time required to move up the learning curve. About the dragonfly question... From my observations, dragonflies are very territorial, and chase intruders away. They also seem to test the boundaries of neighboring dragonfly territories. Normally when a dragonfly sees another of its kind they engage in aerial acrobatics, even make a sharp cracking sound, but I’m not sure how that noise is generated. They chase each other away, without injury, but I have noticed they key in on insect wings when taking small flies for food, once an insects wings are damaged, it’s an easy meal.

I don’t think I can completely answer your question with authority for many reasons, I’m new to this fun photographic activity, and it seems different species of dragonflies have different reactions. And this is true with respect to different colored replica dragonflies and the reaction from real orange dragonflies. When I place a blue dragonfly on a stick the orange dragonfly usually lands below it, on the same stick, but won’t touch it. They seem to have a look in their eyes like they are in love. When I place a replica orange dragon on the stick the real one will buzz over numerous times, getting within inches, expecting a liftoff and aerial dance, but when it’s buzzing is ignored, it gets pissed off. It might take half an hour of waiting, but it will happen, the real one dives in and attacks the replicas wings. The real one will pull and bite on the fake wings.

I mentioned having to wait for the first strike, but once that occurred, the real fly will keep coming back. If the replica fly is placed inches from the top of the stick the real one seems content to hold its position on the top. But when the replica is placed at the top of the stick the real fly seems very angry. I’ve taken a few hundred photos of this stuff recently and unfortunately when I had time to play yesterday the wind was blowing and the sun was straight overhead, causing the highlights to blow out in the photos. But, I’ll be back, soon, and get the killer shot I want.

IPB Image

That's what I thought I saw when you posted the one examining the abdomen tip. Cool observations and thankx for answering my question. Rather thought you was a lookin that close!!!!!!

later

Fred

Don't know if fungi qualify as foliage, but we have a bumper crop of mushrooms this year, probably due to the recent wet weather - these little guys are quite pretty, but I decided not to try them on a hamburger - a friend of mine used to say: "The best place to look for mushrooms is in the supermarket - the best place to look for toadstools is in dead peoples' stomachs."

IPB Image

Got out for a fish today, no luck, but did get a few pics of some fall foliage.

Things are starting to change good,

IPB Image

The pheasants have been busy, they were roosting in the woods nearby, but took off before I could get close enough to them

IPB Image

A lone tree that likes to eat my flies

IPB Image

A drifting leaf

IPB Image

A pool full of wood, you can see the overhanging tree starting to turn, there were a few trout rising just back of the sunken logs

IPB Image

A few other picks of the changing leaves on the trees

IPB Image

IPB Image

Having a break, rod amongst the fallen leaves

IPB Image

Here are the pics of the rising fish

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I did not make a fishing report as there was not much to report. I spooked several fish, and watched them swim away, and saw a few different fish rising to flies like these picks but not my fly

Hey Joe Hard,

That's a great series of photos, and a great story as well. Sure looks pretty in your neck of the woods.

Here some of the foliage is changing colors, a nice brush fire powdery gray and charcoal black.

Cheers,

Graham