Fly Tying
Sturgeon_Catcher

Fall foliage across the.......

The Birds of Paradise in my back yard are starting to bloom, nice colors, and the humming birds have been flying around them... Hopefully I can get some good light on the flowers in the late afternoon, even better with a humming bird in the pic....

It is fall foliage, at least around here...

post-992-1161272406_thumb.jpg

Been nursing a nasty neck injury which may or may not have been caused by lugging a six-pound camera around with a neck strap, so I guess this is it for the season. (gotta find a better way to carry that camera) Looks like the fall colors will be finished in these parts after a week of high winds, but I have big plans for the horse farm once we get a dusting of snow - lots of fences, birds and nags - should make for some interesting B&W landscapes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Are you going to start a winter sceene thread or just keep this one going? I have 22 days left in my worming season. I have been told of a river I plan to scout with my camera. I like walking arround in the woods when I am laid off.

what a beautifull arch peterjay. What is it/ why is it there. Hope the neck gets feeling better. I like the horse farm pic. is that your farm?

I'm up for some witer pics also joeH. Fall fishing is winding down but the colors should be around a bit longer here.

post-5673-1161798694_thumb.jpg post-5673-1161799016_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1161799093_thumb.jpg post-5673-1161799148_thumb.jpg

Chris, I didn't know Illinois was so pretty - guess there's a lot more to it than what you can see from I-80, which is all I've seen. That's what I like about the Photo Corner - we get to explore other places without filling up the gas tank. Looks like your mallard friends could use a few women - must have been a bachelor party and that hen on the bank was waiting for you to leave so she could get up there and entertain. (LOL) . That arch is just a decorative piece that somebody built over the brook at the end of a driveway - I just took that picture so I'd remember it - I think it would make a nice winter landscape. Not my horse farm though - I think the horses are standardbreds, though I'm not sure - we're not far from the track at Monticello and a lot of the farms around here raise trotters and pacers. I've gotta stop in there and see if I can get permission to do a little prowling around - looks like there might be some good shots there. Guess the first guy who sees snow gets to start a winter landscape thread - my money's on Daryn (or maybe Newfie) though Graham might get lucky on his NY trip.

Hey chrisfish, I also enjoyed checking out the scenery in your area. I grew up about 35 miles SW of Chicago, and the scenery was nothing like where you live. But some of the forest preserves were a nice escape from the mix of farm fields and residential sprawl. Are you close to the Rockford area? I visited that area a few times and it was so different from the rest of the state, something about the glaciers not flattening the area? I also used to enjoy the fishing and scenery in the Kankakee area, especially the state park. My Boy Scout pack used to camp there.

Thank guys, Those pics with the ducks are from WI actually. I was up there fishing last week. But there are nice places around here also. I am about 45 min south of rockford, and closer to iowa than chicago, but anyplace near the rock or illinois river is very scenic. I took some pics while i was on my route today. I wanted to get the last of our fall colors for SturgeonCatcher befor the leaves all fall.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here are a couple pics I took today. This is where I dig worms. Starrs Point. The first couple pics are of the farm I have to go through to get to the shore. The first is a field of clover, cattle corn and the mouth of a small river that flows out onto the flats in the background.

The second is "the back 40" it is planted with grass as a cover crop. There is a road all the way down, and turns to the right to get to the shore. The Land owner has been hauling soil from the woods in big trucks so the road is munched. Safer to walk then get stuck. As you can see most of the fall colours are gone. Strange I have never seen any deer tracks.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is a picture of an old tree with a hole in it. It has been there as long as I have been worming, (20 years). I look forward to look at it. You can see the woods are really starting to open up. Most of the leaves are on the ground.

IPB Image

A drifting log that has washed ashore and trapped the fallen leaves.

IPB Image

This is a sheltered cove that I also look forward too. You can see the edge of the rock cliff I have to walk around. Then there is this. One of my favourite places.

IPB Image

There is another drifting log that has only been in this cove for a couple of years. It was laying flat, but somehow has managed to assume this position. You can see debris that has been left buy the edge of the tide. You can also see where it has been left at different heights of the tide. What you cant see is behind the log, all kinds of leaves, and debris left by higher full moon tides.

Today it was plus 14 cel. There is more than snow and cold in Canada then what some people think :)

very nice joeH. That cove looks like a great place to rest from that long walk. Its always nice to finally get down to the waters edge and take it all in.

Hey Daryn,

Thanks for taking me on your walk, your photos really take me there, and the scenery looks amazing. The bottom photo is fantastic, amazing depth of field, looks totaly three dimensional, and the earth tone colors and green moss are incredible looking. I like sharing the things I see but I think I enjoy seeing where I haven't been even more. Great shots!

Graham

Here are a couple more. A small tidal pool with a trickle of water running into it. You can see the eel grass all laid down. Every pool I have looked in over the past few days has had no baitfish in them. I think they are heading south like the geese.

IPB Image

This is the tip of Starrs Point. From this point to mean low water at the lowest tide in the summer is a little over 2.6 miles. (something like that)

IPB Image

Everyday I go to this spot I just smile as it is an awesome place to make a living. Until you get to here.

IPB Image

Fun and games is OVER!! I am the only one that has made these tracks. You can see two dark marks and the waterline. Top center of picture. The dark marks, one is a clump of mud, and grass, the other a big flat rock. My first and last break of the day. This is about 3.5 hours before low tide. I usually sit on my bucket for 10 to 15 minutes before I trudge through the slop back to the shore

Man you got me all nostalgic for tidal pools :rolleyes: I dont live anywhere near the ocean anymore, but when i did i used to love walking along the tidal pools at low tide and finding all the diverse things the seas would uncover. It may sound funny, but we would try to eat all differant kinds of things we found. Mussles, concks, bait fish, octapie, etc. Your pictures are makin me hungery. Great pics joehard