Fly Tying
Nick Reiniche

stuff for bluegill flies

hey guys im knew to the fourm (this is actuly my first post) i live in the jackson ,michigan area. i am just wondering if anyone had any flies that work wonders on blugill???????? i hav tied pretty much everything with foam. i am going to tie....

red fox squirrle tail nymph

foam spiders

flashback PT nymph

anyhting im missing??? :help: :help: :help:

Just make sure you have some Hare's Ear Nymphs and a few poppers. That's all you really need. If they don't hit the Hare's Ear, then they ain't gonna hit anything. I haven't had a trip yet where a Hare's Ear didn't catch at least 1 fish.

One of the best ways to fish them is to tie a popper to your leader, tie a piece of tippit about 12 inches long to the popper hook, then tie the Hare's Ear to that. Know you have two chances to catch fish, and you have a good strike indicator for the nymph.

A few guys on another board swear by a pattern called a jitterbee.

Hook: #8-10 "live bait" hook

Tails: two strands rubber leg material - tied short like a nymph

Body: black & yellow medium chenille - tied alternating like a bumblebee

Head: gold bead

I tied some up using Hairline Ice Dubbing and they look KILLER. But I haven't had a chance to verify their effectiveness;)

a link

http://www.loup-garou.net/jitterbee.html

http://www.laflyfish.com/flies/jitterbee.php

A size 8-12 gurgle pop is a wonderous fly. Really, any bright fly (I like orange and yellow) works great.

I actually have a box, with foam scraps, random feathers, craft fur, beads etc, and just pull stuff out at random, and get great flys!

I have a few of the jitterbees and really like them as well. Try different color combinations too.

My two go to flies - my all black woolly bugger variation, and a small (size 8-10) black over chartreuse clouser.

Elk Hair Caddis is killer for bluegill, too. Fish it dry and if they don't take that, strip it in and it's a passable baitfish imitation and they'll hit that.

I like that jitterbee. Too cool.

Welcome to the site! go to the top of the page and click on "species Index" and then scroll downand click on "panfish".......that will bring up a list o fly patterns posted to this website as well as topics/threads/discussions about panfish.....i think you wil find a lot of good info. there.