Fly Tying
Joe Hard

Fall Browns

Graham you make me sick. How come the rest of us can't be as good as you! I've seen you in a few articles in magazines. It would be an honoiur to someday meet you on stream and pick your brain for any info I could steal from you. Keep it up, and you'll reach legendary status. One question? How come on your website you don't give any info mostly just pics?

Good luck again and keep giving the rest of us something to strive for.

Damn you're good.

Nindja :ph34r:

Hi nindja,

Thanks bro, and it would be a pleasure to meet you on stream! I really don't know the answer to your question. About 5 years ago I started hiding some fishing photos in the back of my website, basically just for archiving as backup. As the years have gone by more and more pics were added and I started making web pages so that I could more easily keep them organized. Same thing with my flies, except that I also stored some of the tying sequence pics as well. Now, 5 years later, the pages have grown and its getting to the point where I enjoy adding stuff for others to see. It was only a couple of years ago that I put a link to my hobbies from within my business site so I could share, or maybe its just showing off. I have friends that think I should erase those pages, kind of over the top and distracts people from potentialy doing business with me. But, I stay as busy as I want to be in the solar energy trade. And I enjoy reading e-mails from all over the globe, but never give names of streams to strangers. When I tye at local shows people ask where did you catch those fish, and my reply is often "do you see any people in the background"? They say no, and I say that I really want to keep it that way..lol..

Most the the brownies were caught with very simple to tye flies. My favorite fly for brownies is colored either chartresuse, purple or blue, and consists of a size 8 curved scud hook, tye on a piece of thin plastic D-rib tye material, then a thin strip of pearl colored Christmas tinsel, wrap the tinsel up the hook, then wrap and cover with the plastic. then I cut about 1/2" of white glo bug yarn, pull of a slip of that, pull the ends so they are not clean cut, tye this on behind the head with about 2/3 of it facing the rear, then using two fingers and thumb, pull the forward facing yarn back, trying to keep it all around the fly, secure with thread and whip finish. Sometimes I'll use a black marker and put a couple of dots for eyes when using white thread. The fly looks very much like a caddis and/or egg. The flash is subdued under the plastic, sort of makes the plastic glow. Anyway, its a fly I have great confidence fishing... To me that is the key, confidence, not partying on stream, trying to keep my line relativly tight to the fly, fished deep, and ready to strike in an instant.

Cheers,

Graham

all I can say is GRAHAM UR THE MAN!!! Those browns are huge. I used to live in N.california in the high part of the sierras. I've hit just about every stream, lake, brook, or river you could think of and in no way have I even come close to the size of what you've shown us there. Those are remarkable trout. And as you said there werent people in the background and it should stay that way.

I remember places like that as a kid, but as it always somehow happen, other people find out about it and it' s ruined from there. I knew of small ponds and such that were private when I was younger learning how to fish, and just having a ball catching em, throwing back, and catching em again, Now you cant even get access to these ponds, cause people have ruined them. Sorry bout the long reply but yur right. some things are better kept private.

Most the the brownies were caught with very simple to tye flies. My favorite fly for brownies is colored either chartresuse, purple or blue, and consists of a size 8 curved scud hook, tye on a piece of thin plastic D-rib tye material, then a thin strip of pearl colored Christmas tinsel, wrap the tinsel up the hook, then wrap and cover with the plastic. then I cut about 1/2" of white glo bug yarn, pull of a slip of that, pull the ends so they are not clean cut, tye this on behind the head with about 2/3 of it facing the rear, then using two fingers and thumb, pull the forward facing yarn back, trying to keep it all around the fly, secure with thread and whip finish. Sometimes I'll use a black marker and put a couple of dots for eyes when using white thread. The fly looks very much like a caddis and/or egg. The flash is subdued under the plastic, sort of makes the plastic glow. Anyway, its a fly I have great confidence fishing... To me that is the key, confidence, not partying on stream, trying to keep my line relativly tight to the fly, fished deep, and ready to strike in an instant.

Cheers,

Graham

Do you have a picture of it?

This is neither me nor anyone I know, but it is a 17 pound brown caught on an olive Woolly Bugger several weeks ago on Cumberland River. Check out the bright orange belly.

IPB Image

Must fight urge to quit work and just go fishing!!! All of these pictures are making it unbearable. It's getting so bad that the fish in my aquarium are all hiding from me, I think the fish can sense my desire to hook them and drag them around a little. Is there a -5 weight rod on the market? I wonder if they will bite on a dry fly? What's a good material to represent fish flakes? Ummmmm. I better get back to work before you guys know think I'm crazy.

Hey Stony, I posted a pic yesterday, but just realized it went into a different topic... Oh well, here's a pic of the fly....

IPB Image

This is neither me nor anyone I know, but it is a 17 pound brown caught on an olive Woolly Bugger several weeks ago on Cumberland River. Check out the bright orange belly.

IPB Image

Man would you look at the colour on that!!!

Great looking fly Graham!

:bugeyes: Why arn't i fishing for those? :bugeyes:

That thread should satisfy Joe hard. Those fish are amazing Graham. And smallie hunter that is a nice "little fish" also

:bugeyes: Why arn't i fishing for those? :bugeyes:

That thread should satisfy Joe hard. Those fish are amazing Graham. And smallie hunter that is a nice "little fish" also

I think I could look at pictures of browns, flies and talk about them all day, and then some. The bigest I have caught was 24 inches. I have lost bigger, seems every year I lose a fish of 26 or bigger. Seems every year I say I am going to catch one. Seems every year when fishing season opens here, I get excited, cant sleep, cause I keep replaying those lost fish over in my mind. If it wasnt for these fish I would not have all this flytying equipment. What have they got done to me :help: