Fly Tying
riverfisher99

Quick Swap question

Is there a "rule" in swaps regarding the use of barbed/barbless hooks? Basically, I fish with nothing but barbless hooks, and I will be starting to tie very soon :headbang: I plan on buying pretty much nothing but barbless hooks, but I want to get involved in lots of swaps, and I don't want to upset anyone. Would it be a good idea to buy barbed hooks for the purpose of swapping? :dunno:

Thanks for any insight,

Shawn

I personally know quite a few people who use barbless hooks. I am not one of them. I would say that you should tie them up on barbed hooks and if the person who receives them doesn't want the barb on, they can remove them.

That way the option is really there for either or.

I agree when i'm fishing a lake and start cathing little guys i pintch the barb otherwise i keep them on But when i fish a river they all have to be barbless so i pitch them before i ty em on So i leave them on to give people the same option

Buddy you can tie flies on any kind of hooks ya want, the way I see it, if you fish barbless, and you get flies tied on a barbed hook, just crimp it. I hope to swap with ya soon, and dont care if there are barbs or not, we just like getting the flies!! ;)

I tie my swap fly's on the hooks I have and send them, if someone wants to mash the barb down go for it, but I'm not paying extra just to buy barbless.

do it your way riverfisher99. I like to see the differant ways people tie in a swap, thats part of the mystery. I will only cuss the barbless hook,(in your name), when i loose a fish :hyst: :j_k:

Look forward to swappin with ya :headbang:

Sawps to me are about sharing patterns from other tyers. If you tie with barbless, that is what you tie. Someday I would like to be involved in a swap with you and receive your fly your way.

I'm with the rest of the fellas -- tie on whatever hook suits your fancy. Barbed, barbless, makes absolutely no difference to me. Even though I only fish barbless, I am always thrilled to get all the swap flies regardless what they're tied on.

-- Mike

Unless it is a condition of the swap, mine will be tied on barbless hooks, or rather barbed hooks with the barbs pinched down. Barbless hooks are hard to find in a lot styles, sizes and shank lengths so it just easier to pinch them down.

Shawn: Look forward to swapping with you, barbless or not. I fish almost all barbless (I pinch barbs and sharpen hooks before I tie the flies I'll use myself), and have started doing the same with swap flies.

Bill

I'd say just tie on what you have. I use both - whatever I have and is convenient. Only real difference that I notice is that toe tags stay on barbed hooks better. :)

-Bamboo