Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingwright

Woven Flies

So last winter there was quite a lot of interest on the board in tying woven bodied flies. There were even a couple of swaps, I participated in one. I had a lot of fun tying the wovens, but when it came time for fishing this year I stuck with more traditional flies. Did anyone else use any of thier wovens? If so, did they work? Just wondering. :dunno:

fly tyer magazine (I think) 3- 4 issues ago had a section on woven flies, they didn't seen to be that hard it was a great issue.

I've had good days, in certain slower currents, fishing woven stone fly nymphs. In the faster water, I usually go with a good ol' Brooks stone.

A friend just returned from a trip to Kettel cr. PA. The only fly she caught anything on was a woven beadhead in tan and yellow, that I tie.

flyweaver

Glad to hear they are actually fished and do well. I did try a woven hex. I had forgotten about that. Unfortunately the hex hatch here was weak this year. No success with any patterns so I can't say how well it did.

I got excited about woven flies after Oliver Edwards dvd's, and tied some similar to the above nymph, but in the Woolly Bugger domain with black and red and some black and other colour bodies. They worked quite well and a mate actually sold some in his shop, but they did not stand up to use very well.

Personally I am happy to ditch a fly after it catches a fish, to me, its job is done and time for a new one. Hey, theyre cheap! Anyway a lot of people, if not most, seem to want them to last a while and take a fair amount of abuse. These ones did not.

They are a lot of fun to tie though. I only used strands of fine wool as I did not know what else to use, so something else might wear and tie a lot better than that. I would like to try some more as they certainly look different.

I gave up, mostly because these did not last, and I had a lot of trouble too getting the dvd to play, I went through several copies but they all seemed to have a fault somewhere. Grrrrr....

:blink:

I've had alot of luck with mine. But mine are more steelhead flies that I want a top/bottom of different colors. Makes a cleaner looking fly. Now, did my old method (tying a basic one colored body and wrapping in a different color on top with tinsel) work any worse? No. But they sure look nicer now. LOL.