Fly Tying
Graham

Where Angels Sing

Graham...Outstanding! You really captured your trip with excellent photography. I especially like the second photo(currently my screensaver)...You guys caught some big fish!!! The weather looked appealing and I'm sure you folks have a fly box full of memories! Thanks for sharing. Your camera eye is getting better and better...I really like the quality of your composition...

Tight lines.

Thom

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the pics, sharing sure feels good. I shrunk the files sizes, was told they were way too large to post on the internet.

With the temperature forcasted at a high of 68 degrees tomorrow, I might just have to get out there and see if I can catch some of those fish. I hope you left the Carlin bamboo rod there for me too.

Wish me luck!

those are great photos graham. i have to ask about the mesh gloves you guys had on one hand sometimes when holding the fish, ive never seen these before is it just to improve grip or protect the fish?

what a great trip graham. I always love those pics of the big browns. i think it is their distinct jaw line, i just like the way they look.

The pics alone are fabulous, but the composition and the wounderfull poem realy are as majestyja stated:

epic!

thank you

Thanks Peterjay, they were smiling!

Hey Oatka, I'm so jealous you live there!!! How was the fishing today? I think the streams will get blown out in the next couple of days with lots of rain.

Hey gill buster, thank you. The mesh glove was bought at my local fly shop, probably about 4 years ago, it's called a "landing hand". I love it and havent carried a net since buying it. I've seen so many fish lost at the net, between the fish freaking when it sees it, and occasionally a bad scoop by a well meaning friend, etc.. I get the fish next to me and just reach in and grab it in front of the tail, or under the belly with little fish. It's great for landing fish, but what I like just as much, if not more, is being able to grip a fish out of water, sure makes it much easier to hold up for a photo, no slipping and sliding, the grip is secure, and the fish gets less stress and is released quicker.

Hey chrisfish, thank you, I feel the same way, there's something very special about brown trout, no two are identical, and they look so awesome. Thanks for the remarks about the poem, I've really been wondering if it was way too corny sounding. I've never written anything like that before and likely never will again, but this trip was so special, the fish, friends, bamboo, Angel reel, silk line, etc, made me feel like trying to put into words how it felt, without getting into technical specifics.

I'm ready for next year's big brownie trip!

Graham

don't kid yourself. that was a great poem. You should write more. trust me they'll be as good as you fishing, photography, flytying and all else you do so well. I really thought it was the icing on the cake :D

ya i gotta catch me one of those! they have nice browns just an hour or so north of me and i was totaly clueless to it till this year. I skipped the run this year in favor of salmon scouting, but next year is a no brainer. sept=find browns

Graham, fishing today sucked. Actually I had a good time, but caught nothing. A few times some weeds in the fast water made me hopefull...just to end up disappointing me.

So, you never told me what flies you were using. Unless, like that other topic I just read, it's rude of me to ask..............

Hey Oatka,

Here's a pic of a fly that works well. I find chartreuse or violet purple works well. On the trip Wickedcarpenter was fishing with a chartresuse sucker spawn fly, and he caught a lot of fish.

The hook is wrapped with pearl Christmas tinsel, then a layer of plastic ribbing, then a veil of globug yarn behind the head. Quick to tye!

IPB Image

those are unbelievable pictures Graham. What is your new camera? I must say you didn't do bad for gettin' used to it. ;)

beautiful reel as well. What a trip. Glad you returned safely. :)