Fly Tying
Big Todd

Stonefly Nymph Swap

Hey Day5 if it's the golden stone I tied, I used Draper hooks. They are hooks with a frame welded into them to give a wide, flat, triangular shaped body. The hooks are made by Partridge. If you want a couple PM me your address, I have a couple loose on my desk. I will be doing a step by step on "my flies" for it on my next days off. The nymphs are also weighted with tungsten soft sheeting which I layed over the top of the frame and tied down with thread and nail polish. Hope that helps....Kerry :)

Got mine yesterday, they sure look great, can't wait to play with them...

Thanks again for hosting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B

What a great set of flies guys. I can hardly wait to get to the mountains to try some of these out. I'm with D5 on the Golden Stone, that is a great looking fly. Inconnu, I will be looking forward to the step by step when you get 'er done. Big Todd, you did a great job again. Also it relly helps the new guys if you mention the things that help improve the swaps. Hopefully no one has to learn the hard way when a package is destroyed in transit. Fixing the minor mistakes is what makes everyone appreciate the good SM's and sharing the experience makes more good SM's. I hope to see several of these on the pattern database. D5 you should join Inconnu in sharing your pattern. I know a couple deep sections of the Tuck that are gonna see that baby, but not until I know how to duplicate it. TT, what did you weave your body with and over?

Todd, if I get a chance I will post pics of these as soon as I can. I photograph all flies recieved in a swap for future reference. Maybe later this week. Gonna be busy, Chase is coming home for Spring break and we're taking Christian to AAU state tournament this weekend. He won AAU Middle School States and our team also won.

Hey Spanky,

I'm glad you got the flies. I knew everyone would like them. The last few swaps I've done have just been awesome.

Thanks in advance for posting pics of these. The swappers in this really deserve some recognition for a swap well done. I was really happy to send out such a nice set of flies to everyone. What a bunch of generous guys too!! You should see all the extras everyone sent. Some Stone's, midges, nymphs, you name it. Inconnu even sent me some of those hooks. I'm tellin' ya I was definately well taken care of by this group of swappers.

I'm also glad to hear all the good news about the boys. Of course you can't really call them boys anymore, huh? Steph and I are still pluggin' away at the pizza place. Slowly but surely gettin that loan paid off. One day we'll make a nice life for ourselves and Little Todd up here in Montana. I really think the west is where I belong. Everyday I'm thankful to be here with my family. I just wish I could see you guys a lot more. Hopefully as time passes we will be able to afford some trips back to NC. Anyway I hope you and yours continue to do well. I'm so proud of Ryan, Chase, and Christian. They are all going to be good men. You should glow with pride everytime you see them.

Well I guess I better go. We are always thinking of everyone in ole NC.

BIG TODD.

Sorry a little late on this,great bunch of flies in this swap.You all never stop to amaze me with the patterns you come up with.A big thank you to our host Big Todd for doing this a superd job my friend.

Spanky the underbody is Ice Dub Rusty Brown,I just love this stuff for under body dubbing.Really blends in nicely with the weave.Weave was done with Olive and yellow small Stretch tubing.i just love the way this stuff comes out.Wickedcarpenter sent me some stuff when i get a few patterns done i'll post pick .His stuff is even better.Just have to be real carefull can't pull as hard as the stuff i use.

Rick tt

Hey I received mine today! Actually was pretty good time for the mail, they must have got a new batch of postal sloths. They are great flies folks, I have a couple of places in mind to try them out this year. I'll let you know how I make out. Big Todd, it was nice to see a Montana Nymph again, I caught my first Arctic Grayling on one in 1982. It was 17" and just beautiful. I have to tell you about this 'cause it was sort of wierd.

I went down to a pool where one small river entered another slightly larger one. From a distance I could see all these wierd "rises" right tight along the rocky beach. Now you may not believe this and I still have a hard time with it, but there were ants on the rocks and the grayling were splashing water up onto them and then eating the ants that fell in. I am pretty sure of this because I was watching them do it from about 20 feet away, laying in a shallow depression. I flipped my nymph out from that position and it landed like 6 inches from shore and the grayling grabbed it. Strangest hook-up I have had I think. :)

I have received mine as well

sorry I've been ill, didn't feel like getting online to type, but I got em last week

very nice selection

thanks for hosting and thanks to all who participated

Pauly