Fly Tying
steelerfanhw

What Hook Do You Use for Dry Flies?

Hooks  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

usually a Mustad 94840, but i have no prejudice against using a Tiemco, or a Cabelas, or Bass Pro, or Dai-riki or Daiichi.

For my standard dries it would be a Mustad 94840, they have worked well for years and i always have a good supply of them in the shop.

I am switching some of my parachite dries over to the Partridge 15BN Klink hook for my own use just as an experiment. I really like the way the Klink hooks fish and they look nice too.

I tye mostly on mustad hooks, because mustad is/was the standard in the tying industry. I don't know if they still are, popularity of the other hook companies.

I use

Tiemco 101 (100, with straight eye, for 20 and smaller)

Tiemco 5212 for longer dries (stonefly, hopper, etc.)

Tiemco 2457 for emergers

To save money, I use these hooks for nymphs as well (I add weight and/or a bead if I want it to sink faster)

I use the TMC 100's, 101's, and for emergers I recently became a pretty big fan of the TMC 206bl's. I use various different hooks for hopper/terrestrial patterns. I also have a stack of Mustad 94840, and others that I use on occasion.

I've used and still use all of the hooks on your list.

Recently, I've been tying a lot of dries on Dohiku hooks.

HDD-301-6-1.jpg?1349587302

Dai Riki 305 and 320 for most mayfly, caddis, small stonefly/terrestrial/attractor patterns. For anything smaller than a #18 I use a 125, their emerger hook, for the extra hook gap.

Regards,

Scott

Orvis 4641 Big Eye. Great hook, easy to thread on the leader, sharp out of the box, stronger than any 94840 ever thought about being, perfect bend, small barb easily bent down if necc. on-stream. Very easy to tie on!! Can fish heavier tippets on smaller flies too, and the hooks are strong enough to take it.

Tiemco becase I usually tie small and the gape of their hooks is one size up compared to most others. For example, a size 18 hook will have a size 16 gape compared to most other manufacturers. It has nothing to do regarding performance. Just makes it easier for me when I start going 18 and smaller.