Fly Tying
dsaavedra

Mysterey Material

hokay. heres the deal. i have a bunch of this tinsel-ish stuff, use it all the time. love it, but have no idea what it is. do you guys know?

IPB Image

heres an up close shot of the gold

IPB Image

I agree with the diamond braid, its a great material, and can be used in many ways. It also ties one bad ass nymph!!!

Dustin.

Hey while on the topic of diamond braid anybody have any clue what brand name i may find it under??? I have looked for actual diamond brade in the stores up here in Ontario and the closest I've found is this AXXEL stuff. Works pretty well for me but just wondering if there is some name I sould be looking for???

Thanks

mike

Mike I get some whenever I get to Iowa City. There is a store there that

sells it under the name sparkle braid. It is made by Wapsi so should not

be hard to find.

-Tom

Mike if you want to email or call (John Ritchie) John's Fly Materials here in London, Canada he has a listing for the Diamond Braid in the Catalog. Comes in 5 yard spools $1.50 and 5 yards in bag $2.10.

www.johnsflymaterials.com

email [email protected]

Tel. 519-645-0932

Fax 519-645-1470

FF

I have some sparkle braid that I bought in a shop in Columbia, SC. The brand name is Barron's, and the fine print says Wapsi. Then I have another, similar product called Solid Tinsel Chenille. It's a little fuzzier, but not nearly as fuzzy as Estaz. I use it to tie a jig pattern for crappie. As far as I know, no one sells a jig tied by this pattern, but it sure works.

BB

Sorry I didn't get back on line sooner. I get mine at Fin & Feather in Iowa City. $1.25/ card.

I didn't realize we had such a large Hawkeye contingent here. :thumbup:

I don't think fly tying supplies is Mike Jacob's primary business. In order to get in touch with him

go to Hawkeyeflyfishing.com and click on officers. It will get you to his phone number. If you

don't want to drive he is happy to do business by mail.

Tom

You might be able to find very similar material in craft and sewing stores as "metallic plastic canvas yarn". I've found it in gold, silver, red, mylar (pearl), green, red, black and multicolored (silver, blue & pink). but the problem is that no one seems to stock the stuff consistently. Krienik also smells braids in craft stores, but they are typically a little smaller and round in profile. Just another place to give a look.

Mark Delaney