Fly Tying
Inconnu

Who would you like to thank?

Most of us were not born with a flyrod in hand, waving madly about just begging to be pointed at a stream, just as most of us were not genetically imprinted with the innate ability to cast, present and read water. Somewhere there is someone or a few "someones" who have influenced us, taught us or mentored us. Who were they/are they?

For me I have to go back to Gadabout Gaddis, who awoke an unknown want or need in me when I watched his shows (don't ask, they were years ago). To my Dad who really brought the desire to my attention and was wise enough not to try and tell me anything, but tossed bits and pieces to me as I went, to help direct my journey. Indirectly Gary Lafontaine wrote a book entitled Challenge of the trout, that really made me realize that there was more to this thing than tossing fluff on the water and awoke in me a desire to learn more. Lastly there is Harris, who showed me more about presentation in a summer, than I could have learned on my own in a decade (he doesn't come here so I won't help his head explode!). Who would you like to acknowledge? :)

I would like to thank the Southern New York Sportsman's Association for sending me to Camp DeBruce Environmental Education Camp on the banks of the Willowemoc(Catskills) a long time ago....also Eric Leiser for gently telling a kid that his flies could be better and supplying better materials to do it with...and lastly my Dad who used to drive me to Fireside Angler to get the materials and pay for it to boot!

Great question. I may be the odd ball out, in that I have not had a mentor. I was (still am) an avid fisherman that wanted a better way to catch billgills on my favorite lake (this was about 10 years ago). I knew what fly fishing was-poppers seemed the way to go....so read a few books/articles, bought a cheap rod and reel, then started slaying billgills. I was literally hooked. I thought myself to cast (well, still working on that). The past 4 years, I have really dived into the art. Now, I tie flies, fly fresh and salt and predomintley reach for a fly rod before anything else. If fishing was part of my blood, fly fishing is my blood now.

Not having alot or almost any exposure to other flyfishermen, this board has been a tremendous asset to me.

In the spirit of your question, however, I do have a big thanks to the person, a co-worker, that re-introduced me to fishing after an absence during my teenage years. He had property on a lake that was stocked with stripers---ahhhh, I have never been the same some 15 years later. During the summer, we would leave work early 1-3 days a week. He re-sparked a hidden love.

Thank you Mr. Cox :clapping:

I dont know how many of you know the name Alf Walker.. I went to the fishing show with my father and i seen a few people casting fly rods for the first time in my life. I had been reading this book on fly tying and only having a pair of self lockin pliers as a vice an thread from my mothers stash and feathers i had found, my father finally thought i should go through some courses. Anyways I watched these guys make cast upon cast without missing there target .. amazing .. My father pulled one of the casters to the side an came back to me showing me the book i had been reading signed by Alf Walker. I was completely blown away by what my father had done for me, but that wasnt it. A couple seconds later .. the casters started asking for volunteers... Alf pointed at me .. in front of that many people i wasnt going up without a fight .. but i didnt want to let down my idols. My father and Alf.. So i went, scared beyond belief .. i went, I cast with almost no misses on the target, probably because of fear... but it was so burned into my mind i taught my father how to cast haha.. So I would like to thank Alf Walker and .. Most importantly .. My father always stood behind me showing me how to question things that i need to know and supporting me when i felt something was worth doing.. :cheers: to my father ..

Probably my grandfather....funny thing is he wasnt even alive at the time though :lol: After my grandfather passed away I came across his old fiberglass silpex fly rod in his basment and decided I wanted to give it a try. That was about 20 years ago so I guess I kind'a liked it when I tried it :lol:

I am the first fly caster in a long line of fishermen and women. My grandparents bought a place on the St. Lawrence back in the early 40's so there has been alot of fishing going on in all those years. You guys/gals are my mentor. And believe me, I appreciate it. Thank you

I would like to thank first my father and grandfather, my dad bought me my first fly rod and a cheapie tying kit when I was 11, and its something that stuck with me every since, I fell in love with fly fishing and fly tying. My grandfather bought me another rod, that was alot nicer for Christmas. Both have helped to fund my hobbie every since, hell they have more money in my gear than I do, but they realize how much passion I have for it, and they know it helps keep me outta trouble.

Second I would like to thank all of you here on the site, for the overwhelming wealth of info and knowledge I have gained as a member here. A few in particular would be Steve, Vito1(Matt) Redwings, and the rest of the gang that was at the PM trip last year, they showed me how to (chuck "n" duck) and they got some enjoyment outta watching me try that for the first time, but I also learned alot about salmon fishing from them as well, and I also learned alot of other neat tips and tricks as well.

I will have to say that the members on this site have taught me so much more than I have ever expected to learn, and have inspired me so much. Also a big thanks to Will for putting up with all of us here and providing such a great place for us all to hang out and learn, my hat goes off to you guys.

Dustin

My brother in law for teaching me how to fish. In fact I did thank him at my nieces wedding last year. I have not seen him before that for at least 25 to 30 years. We had a great time talking about old times. My parents for taking me camping and my father for showing me how to paddle a canoe. My friend as a boy that was my first fishing buddy, and fly tying friend.

When I first moved to Nova Scotia I saw a stream I knew had to have trout in it. I was forbidden to dig any worms for bait, I had nothing but a few hooks. I scrounged what I could and built a makeshift vise and a few crude tools. I tied up some flies and caught my first native brook trout on a scud pattern. So I would like to thank my brothers ex wife for not allowing me to dig worms for bait on her organic herb farm.

I would also like to thank everyone here on the the three sites. In the past few years I have learned things that I probably would not of ever had the chance to.

when I was 8 years I saw my uncle Hannu, who lives in finland standing on a rock casting a fly into the river, I thought it was the coolest thing that I have ever seen. 20 years later, I bought a flyrod and taught my self how to cast it.

I woluld have to and have thanked my uncle for my start in flyfishing

I too would like to thank an uncle. He's long since departed but it was him who got me interested in fly fishing. I just wanted to go into the mountains for once and do some fishing. And seeing as how I was turning 9yrs old it turned into a family reunion so to speak( 6 uncles, 4 aunts, 2cousins, me, and my parents, and a few of my friends). Now here I am fishin this tiny brook with an 8lb line, and salmon eggs. By the way I'm getting skunked. My uncle larry is fly fishing. or course having never seen someone fly fishing before I was laughing my tale off saying he was silly for casting so much. Then he showed me his creel....I shut up awefully quick :hyst: . So shortly after getting back from that trip my parents bought me a fly rod and I've been hooked ever since.

Mine was a friend that sold me a rod that I did not want. He told me to take it very cheap for an expensive rod at the time. I think I paid him 30 dollars for a 100 dollar rod at the time. Told him that I was wasting my money since I do not fly fish. Don Tucker was his name and he own Tuckers Bait here in Stirling, Ont. and his reply was "Take Gary, you will fly fish" Took the rod and like I said "it collected dust in the corner for 15 plus years. During the 15 years of dust collecting my father had a friend a fly fishing person by the name of Gerry Ingles. Gerry who I only met 1 or 2 times before during the 5-6 years that I knew of him and then he past away to the better fishing grounds. A few months / weeks not sure after Gerry had died my dad gave me a fly wallet from Gerry who apparently told his wife that the wallet was to go to me when he died.

"Huh" I still do not fly fish at this time and do not recall saying anything to Gerry during or short 1 or 2 visits.

So now I have a fly wallet with flies, a 9 ft. 6 wieght rod sitting in the corner. One item sold to me by a past friend and the other left to me by a past friend. Well a few years go by and now I put 1 + 1 together to get 2 Now you will now need to wait for me to pass on before you will get the flyrod out of my hands.

Thank you Gerry Ingles and Don Tucker for seeing into my future, I owe you two big when we meet on the other side.

My granpa and dad got me fishing befor i can remember

A cat named Dennis Fitzmorice taught me cast a flyrod while in the navy. and talked me into buying a rod. Thanks Dennis:)

Then that rod sat unused for 15 years. It was my brother Jeff that realy sparked my intrest in fly fishing last year. he was also the one that got me wanting to tie my own flies. Ya....JEFF :) ("juice" on this site)

And this site is responsible for getting me addicted to things like stopping and picking up dead pheasants on the side of the road, and cutting off dead squirrles tails ect. Thanks FTF

My father who first took me fishing when I was 5 yrs. old. Flip Pallot, I saw him one morning on TV Bonefishing with a fly rod and I knew I had to learn to do that. My boss who bought me my first fly rod. Jeri Smith for teaching me to tie a Clouser. And my wife, for never, ever asking me me how much all the stuff I have costs.

I also have to thank Gadabout Gaddis, who had a major influence on me when I was a kid. I am a HUGE fan. But I have to go back to someone who stepped in even before Gadabout. That would be author Harry Zarchy, who wrote a number of How-To books that were often found in the childrens section of most libraries in the 1950s and 1960s. His book Let's Fish was the original source of a whole lifetime of fishing passion for me. Everything I know about fishing today had it's origins in that book. He passed away a few years ago and I never got to thank him, but I did get to pass my sentiments along to his son and daughter, who both sent me back very nice emails. Along with Harry Zarchy, authors Vlad Evanoff and Tom McNally formed the big three that taught me what I needed to know about fishing. My father was not a fisherman, so I had to learn everything totally on my own. I had great influences though.