Fly Tying
RoyalWulff

Dry Fly wings

Hey guys, I have been tying up some dries latley, as in adams, and wulffs. For flies like the adams, many patterns call for hackle tipped wings. I dont have a lot of hackle that i want to 'de-tip', but i do have lots of mallad flank. Would using this inhibit the fly from working.

What is a good alternative for hackle wings..... or do i have to order a hen cape... i just dont think i need that much hen hackle.

My humble opinion is that the grizzly tip wings give a cerrtain buzz if you will to the Catskill style pattern....that being said, I bet the fish won't mind mallard flank wings. Try the parachute Adams, that dressing calls for calf body hair for the post or something like it. You can always tie parachutes with a poly post wing as well which is very economical.

Let the fish be the judge of your material substitutions.

Hot Tuna

I am more of the opinion that the hackle wings are for the fisherman than the fish...though I do sell them ;)

For my own flies I agree with John, I use calf tail or Hi-Viz poly for wither post or split post wings.

I tie them with all of the above. It really depends, for me anyway, what type of water I am fishing. For pocket water, fast and turbulent, I like calf tail and calf body. But when I get into calmer water or I need a less heavy fly I will go to Hackle tips and wood duck. I also just like tying them each way.

If you want to try some hackle tips use a Small Hen cape. These will have rounded ends on the hackle and only cost about 10 bucks. The newer more expensive genetic hackle does not make very good wings as the ends are too pointy. So you can get away with the cheap stuff here. Just treat it with floatant and your all set to go.

I stay away from antron and all synthetics. They don't degrade quickly and I think it's a shame anyone uses them.

I use hen tips for wings on dry's as I order the whole JV (Juvenile Skin) from Denny Conrad of Conranch Hackle. Plenty of feathers for dry's, wets, soft hackles you name it. $20 for the whole skin.

For the parchutes I use either the calf body hair or poly for the post

Fatman

I think that hen hackle tip wings are the prettiest and most realistic, but I agree with Redwings1 that they are probably a lot prettier to me than to the fish. They are, at least for me, the trickiest to tie in, although A.K. Best's method does make them fairly easy. I use Widow's Web (a poly yarn material) for most of my wings now and for all parachute posts. It's extremely easy to work with and comes in many colors.

Joe

The coloration is similar, but teal has sharper, more defined markings. It does make a good replacement for hackle tips, if you want an alternative.

Chuck

If you just "gotta" tie wings on a fly that look nice and you don't want to de-tip good hackle, you may consider a set of wing burners. They are easy to make and you can use "unusable" hackle for them.

post-10854-1176459932_thumb.jpg

Adams Dry and Wulffs

You will need Grizzly Hackle Tips for the Wings.

Hackle: Brown and Grizzly Mixed - Saddle hackle or Rooster neck

You may need Dark Brown rooster necks or saddle hackle

I guess you will have to buy.

Enjoy.

Perminus

fliesperdozendotcom

Andre,

Welcome to FTF. I went to your site and you have some tremendous insight on pattern development. You have some very inovative patterns. I loved your flies, especially that Crane Fly.

I would imagine those rubber legs make the trout do a double take.

Where are you located (looks like outside the US), and do you ship to the US?

Again welcome and make yourself at home.

Conehead

Hi, Conehead and thanks.

I am from Norway and do most of my tying and fishing here. But this weekend I am demonstrating fly tying in Denmark at the Danish Fly Festival.

Yes, the cranefly really is hot, especially up north. :D About the material: The international distributor is Pacific Wave in Denmark, but I don't think they ship to the USA by now. But you may order the AB's Polychenille on the site if you'd like. I've shiped to USA and Canada recently: http://www.thetroutbum.com/polychenille/index.html

Again thanks for your compliments on the flies.

André B

Andre,

Welcome to FTF. I went to your site and you have some tremendous insight on pattern development. You have some very inovative patterns. I loved your flies, especially that Crane Fly.

I would imagine those rubber legs make the trout do a double take.

Where are you located (looks like outside the US), and do you ship to the US?

Again welcome and make yourself at home.

Conehead

Philip : Have you tried using hen nackle for the Adams-it makes great wings as it has more web and barring then rooster hackle.Also the tips are more rounded than rooster.For Wulff wings I have used calf body hair for years.It stacks easier than most calf tail as it is usually straight hair.Try it I think you'll be pleased with how it looks......Frank