Fly Tying
VERN-O

Which do you prefer

Pedestal vs. C-clamp  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a Peak pedestal vise. I have never had a problem with the pedestal slipping or wobbling when tying, however size 6 hooks are the bigggest I've tied. I frequently switch out the Peak vise with a Griffin Montana vise, since they have the same size shaft. So far, I have not had the desire to take my fly-tying on the road. Lugging the Peak pedestal would not be much fun.

Cheers,

neoFLYte

Austin TX

I have a Peak pedestal vise. I have never had a problem with the pedestal slipping or wobbling when tying, however size 6 hooks are the bigggest I've tied. I frequently switch out the Peak vise with a Griffin Montana vise, since they have the same size shaft. So far, I have not had the desire to take my fly-tying on the road. Lugging the Peak pedestal would not be much fun.

Cheers,

neoFLYte

Austin TX

When tying at the Swedish Fishing Fair, I brought the Barracuda with its 5lbs base for me, the Supreme (+ 4lbs base) for a tyer friend who wanted to borrow... and another 4lbs base for another tyer. Together with all the other stuff in it, the suitcase for that trip was certainly not a "snatch and run" one for a potential luggage thief. :lol:

/Nick

I say C-clamp, but only because I've never used a pedestal. I bought my Regal C-clamp the first week I got into tying. I plan on buying a Renzetti soon and will probably go with a C-clamp again. I spin a lot of deer, and worry about a pedestal's stability. Like Tedious, my fly tying bench is a converted wood-working bench that weighs several hundred pounds. I clamp my vise to it and nothing ever slips or wobbles. Saying that, one day I would like to have a small, light-weight portable pedestal to carry with me on the road. :rolleyes:

Ive never owned a pedestal vise, not because ive consciously avoided them, Ive just never happened to get one.

Maybe I can use the excuse "but i need a pedestal vise for if i go somewhere and theres nowhere to clamp it!" to get another vise :devil:

Only ever used two vises properly, so far and both have been Clamp. I'm used to the tying position but I would prefer to sit closer to my desk so I think pedestal might be better for me

I use both. Clamp with an extension on my main vise thats at my bench. I have several on pedistals. They are granite. I make them.

They have a type of rubber on the base that will not slip unless you tie with a wench for a bobbin. I can guarantee the Nor-Vise "I made" won't move..lol..Plus if glue or cement gets on it, you just scrape it off with a straight edge razor and it is clean as new. No the razor does not scratch the granite. I have many types and colors of granite. The one picture is of the light colored ones I have. What do you think?

post-19822-0-59974700-1365702427_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-25672400-1365702472_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-47400100-1365702517_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-84134900-1365702554_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-78520000-1365702579_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-40812300-1365800380_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-28756800-1365800444_thumb.jpg