Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
3FL2

Where do you get your Fly tying supplies?

i usually get my stuff from Bass Pro Shops,although out in nova scotia Fishing Fever Fly and Tackle Shop has a good selection of fly tying materials.i wish the wal-marts here had fly tying supplies like the ones in atlantic canada does

Tight Lines fly shop in De Pere is an amazing shop! They have everything in every size and color. I went there once while visiting relatives and was very surprised at how much they have. They have a website too. I still like J Stockard and the Dungeon though.

Yep Tight Lines is crazy, it's hard to imagine that there inventory is growing, they are redoing their floors this month, and shuffling stuff around to get what? More tying supplies! Between that and their massive selection of Sage and Winston rods, it's hard to imagine a better place to spend your post fishing hours. The fools like me who chase browns and steelhead in the winter stop their when we are too frozen to fish, and drink their free coffee and listen to the yarns :) :) If any of you are in the area some Saturday afternoon, stop by :) :)

I buy most of what I need at the local shop. I have also used Cabelas and Feather-Craft .. especially Feather-Craft .. quite a bit. I know I really need to support JS here since they're a sponsor, too. This past week's trip on the Salmon-Fest I tried to at least pick up one or two items at the shops in the Baldwin area. I guess to answer your question .. I use quite a few sources.

Mike

I get 99% of my tying stuff locally. Then I go online to J.stockard, if they don't have it I go online to the " fly tying super store". If they don't have it you don't need it. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Fly tying supplies is a life long quest. Always support your local fly shops. Catalogs are a great source as long as you know what you are buying and the product name. There are many items in craft stores that are usable in tying. If there isn't a fly tying club in your area; start one, then you can always swap materials with other tyers. The internet is always a great source. I miss Herters! Gunner

I've already replied that I get nearly all my stuff via internet (what we used to call "mail order") That's always fine for synthetics and fur for dubbing, bunny strips, necks, etc. The three great frustrations I have are ordering deer hair for spinning, bucktails, and saddle hackles for large streamers and bass flies. I can't estimate how much total CRAP deer hair I've ordered, really bad bucktails, and "5-7 inch" saddle hackles that have 4 inches of worthless fluff. Whenever I have the opportunity to buy good deer hair, bucktails, and saddles, I'm happy.

JSzymczyk, for deer hair , have you ever contacted Chris Helm? The man knows his stuff with deer hair. Check it out here and give him a call. They say if you tell him the type of fly your tying he can get you the right hair.

www.whitetailflytieing.com

I've ordered, really bad bucktails, and "5-7 inch" saddle hackles that have 4 inches of worthless fluff.

Yea I ordered "5-7 inch" grizzly saddle hackles online, I tie size 12-16, most of the hackle was for sizes 4-8. The four inches of worthless stuff cant be used.. I tried. I cant tie it anywhere. What kind of hackle should I be looking for? I see the hackle that are packaged for the size of the hook, But I tie different sizes never above 10 and for now never below 16. :unsure:

3FL2, this is what you're looking for:

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/N...addle-Pack.html

they are graded according to size, and they range from 12 to 18 so they should be right up your alley. they're kind of spendy. You could dive in and get a complete saddle patch, and have plenty of each size.

I do need to call Chris Helm and get a bunch of good quality deer hair. As soon as my financial manager (wife... ) approves the request. :P

JSzymczyk, Thanks for the info! I will look in to it as soon as my Financial manager (girlfriend) approves my request.