Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Service Tech

Does anyone else have this problem?

You're not alone! I often get bored with the pattern after tying one. i jump around a lot. honestly, it wasn't until my first swap on this site that i tied more than 2 of the same thing. of course, having just said that, i did tie up 7 of the same fly earlier today. i figure i have to keep them low to catch the browns in a few weeks that i'm likely to loose a bunch so i better have a good supply on hand.

If I'm tying to "design" a "new" pattern (don't know how else to say it, as in all artistic things in life, we merely plagarize, or steal, or borrow from what we've already seen or heard), I'll tie as many as it takes to make me happy with it at the sitting(s).

If I'm tying to fish, I usually tie between 3 and 7 in each size, so as to have a few to appease the dryads living along the stream I'm fishing. In a given trip if I don't hook at least two trees and lose three flies, I'm not fishing hard enough. :hyst:

no, your not alone. When I lived in places with local fishing available, I'd tie maybe two or three of whatever pattern I wanted, maybe only one, at a time. If I lost them I'd just tie up another one that night. If I get the chance for a trip once every couple of years or so I tie up a bunch of the patterns and sizes I know I'll need. On a regular basis though I tie up one or two of this and that. Most of my flies are of a certain "type" rather than a specific pattern.

Some, like a black and grizzly woolly worm, or a chartreuse and white clouser deep minnow, are pretty hard to deviate from, so I guess those are pretty true to pattern.

I find it becomes very tedious to tie more than 3 or 4 of the same pattern in a row... I don't think I could ever be a commercial tyer.

I tie in the winter in anticipation of fishing local PA and usually a trip to MONTANA. There are 3 or 4 fellow anglers that are in the same groove. I will tie 3 to 7 of the same "pattern" so we can trade, mix and match. When you find something that works ( and there are lotsa fish ) it is fun to share.

Dave

I tie sizes 12-16 (for now) only. So if I tie a fly I usually tie up several in different sizes. Example was a Brown hackle peacock that was the first pattern that I caught my first fish on a fly I tied. This pattern worked so well that I will try out different sizes this weekend( I only had a size 14 that was working on the film and beneath the surface) I tied them in sizes 12-16 in nymph, wet, and adult patterns. Since I'm a new tyer I start with a pattern and tie it until It looks like the fly. Any suggestions for a new tyer on perfecting emergers? Thanks PEEPS!!

If I am experimenting with new flies I tie a half dozen, give or take. But most of the time I tie 25-50 of a given fly, not necessarily in one sitting, so that I'm done with them for awhile. Monotonous, yes, but it's more effcient to pump out a bunch of one fly than to jump around from fly to fly.

I usually tie at least a dozen of whatever I'm tying and do it in stages, if possible (lead on all the hooks first, etc.).

That's my German heritage shining through, I'm sure.

I tie flies to fish, so I try to tie at least three of the same pattern and size for my box. If a fly works I hate having just one. This past weekend was a perfect example; I saw a fly being tied at Lunkers at Edwardsburg MI and picked up the materials to tie it because I thought it would be a nice fly for salmon. I made one with the chartreuse head color they were tying, then expermineted with some wool for heads. So this weekend when the one fly I had was slammed by a salmon I landed the salmon and shortly thereafter I lost the fly on a snag on the bottom. No more of those flies, and that was the only salmon I landed. I will tie a dozen of those for steelhead fishing this winter and probably another dozen for salmon next year. I find that it takes 2 or 3 flies to get in a groove and they start looking better after that. I suppose if you are tying flies for show and are very careful then the first one will come out good but that is not really my experience.

I usually tie at least a dozen of whatever I'm tying and do it in stages, if possible (lead on all the hooks first, etc.).

I did that for a swap once, and really enjoyed it. It was fun having a dozen leaded hooks and then watching them grow up into mature full dressed flies......and then the sadness as they finally left the nest.....and went to college......and got married.........

I usually go to the vice with a few patterns in mind, kinda rotate through them untill i have a few of each of them. or I will also sit down and tie a bunch of one pattern. unless theyr dries.... im not patient enough for that yet

I did that for a swap once, and really enjoyed it. It was fun having a dozen leaded hooks and then watching them grow up into mature full dressed flies......and then the sadness as they finally left the nest.....and went to college......and got married.........

LOL.

It's funny how even something as simple as wrapping lead on the hook gets smoother, neater and faster if you do it to 12 hooks in a row.