Fly Tying
spicher

best egg hooks?????

Any suggestions on the best egg hooks for salmon/steelhead. I have used mustads in the past but am not very happy with the sharpness. thanks in advance for any advice.

Spicher,

Hi, there are several egg hooks out that are good for Pacific Salmon/Steelhead/Lake Run Browns . As I'm sure you already know two models of Mustad currently in use on the Great Lakes are the 9174,which has a barb that is way to big as well as dull points that have to be sharpened,and the 3906 which is a tad light on wire strength as well as that darn barb.I have switched all my egg hooks to Daiichi models 1530, 1120,and the infamous x510 as well as Daiichi's standard 1510. As for the Tiemco 105, unless you want your hook to break under strain from big fish or have them bent real easily I'd recommend sticking to Daiichi. I tried out a pack of tiemco 105 in their smallest size an had nothing but problems.Stay with Daiichi if you value your fishing time, I mean you spend literally hundreds of dolllars on your gear not to mention license and hotel or lodge fee why chance it with a brittle hook. My two cents worth.

Tight Wraps & Tight Lines

Rick Wallace

My eggs are usually tied on either the Eagle Claw L056, or the Mustad Signature C67S both heavy wires, and work fine for me.

I like the Tiemoc 105 also. Surprised at the negative experiences some have had, never had an issue with them...

The dai riki 155 is the same shape as the tiemco 105. stronger than the 135 and just as sharp the 135 is 1x strong the 155 is 2 x strong 1 x short. I love the 155!!!

Spicher,

Hi, there are several egg hooks out that are good for Pacific Salmon/Steelhead/Lake Run Browns . As I'm sure you already know two models of Mustad currently in use on the Great Lakes are the 9174,which has a barb that is way to big as well as dull points that have to be sharpened,and the 3906 which is a tad light on wire strength as well as that darn barb.I have switched all my egg hooks to Daiichi models 1530, 1120,and the infamous x510 as well as Daiichi's standard 1510. As for the Tiemco 105, unless you want your hook to break under strain from big fish or have them bent real easily I'd recommend sticking to Daiichi. I tried out a pack of tiemco 105 in their smallest size an had nothing but problems.Stay with Daiichi if you value your fishing time, I mean you spend literally hundreds of dolllars on your gear not to mention license and hotel or lodge fee why chance it with a brittle hook. My two cents worth.

Tight Wraps & Tight Lines

Rick Wallace

Rick I agree with you 100%, i think think that the Daiichi hooks are hand down the best hooks when it comes to steelhead fishing. good points and strong, can't ask for much more...i've used some of the other types of tiemco hooks and i find that the hook stregnth is good, but the ability to hold a sharp point, in my opinion, leaves something to be desired...I've got two words for mustad, F**** 'em, by far that WORST hooks i've ever used, i've had steelhead bend them out, points are dull as hell, and they even snap on occasion (i had a sixe 18, 3906 snap in my vice).

just my $.02...

Jake

Spicher, the Gamakatsu C14S is a VERY fine Egg hook.....if you like fishin' egg flies. They're VERY sharp and VERY strong. I've given a LOT of them away to friends who fish egg flies, and NEVER had a complaint. Personally i won't fish with an egg fly.....but i'm not at all a snob about it. I just don't do it. I only fish with flies i tye, and my time at the vise is to precious to tye egg flies. My wife gets all the hooks she wants for free from Gamakatsu and Daiichi as they are sponsers of her team. She's the Captain of the Japanese National Fly Fishing Team, (Team Japan), SO. I just happen to have 4 packages of 25 each in size 10 and 6 packages of 25 each in size 12. That's 250 hooks. Got anything you wanna trade/swap????????? In particular, i'd be lookin' for blind eye Salmon hooks. Somethin' i can tye Speys on.....know-what-i-mean? The BIGGER and LONGER, the BETTER. Or, any materials i don't already have for tyin' Salmon flies.....Tucan, Pita, Indian Crow, Cotinga, and or any other rare bird skins. Or maybe you have something original, like a carved fly box you made, or a piece of artwork you did or would wanna part with or whatever.......an old fly fishing or tying book......you let me know. mark..... B)

For big fish (steelhead) the Daichi X point 510 are the best, but they sink like rocks which may not always be desirable - for a slower sink try the Tiemco 105's but beware of opening them on larger fish (midteen size steelies)

speydoc