Fly Tying
ortho004

Boat Opinions

Boat choice  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello All,

I am planning for this upcoming summer, and how I am going to attack the local lakes here in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Around here (at least the times I would be fishing from a boat), I will be fishing mainly with a fly rod for bass, bluegill, and possibly northern/musky. Come summer, many of the lakes I go to get pretty weedy around the edges, making fishing from the shore or wading pretty difficult. This summer, I would like to buy some sort of watercraft to get away from the people, and to get some better angles for fishing. I have a few requirements for the decision...

1. Cost: must be like a few hundred bucks at the most, college student budget.

2. Size: must be able to fit through the door and at least into the hallway in my house, no garage or storage available. Also must be able to move on my own.

3. Nothing to tow: I have an Impreza sedan with a roofrack that must suffice for carrying whatever I end up getting.

4. Nothing that is a huge PITA to move a couple hundred miles if I decide I want to go somewhere for the weekend.

Based on these criteria, what would you all say? I think I have it narrowed down to either a kayak or an inflatable pontoon boat, but thought I would ask the experts. I have fly-fished from a kayak before, but never a pontoon, and I already have a float tube, just looking for something that doesn't require me to be in the water. Just wondering your $.02, thanks for your help.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

The fish that you are after would be much better to catch using a nice big Ranger Boat. But with the restrictions you've given the kayak looks to be the choice that I would go with. The inflatable pontoon would be more stable and give you a little more height above the water, but the pontoon would be more trouble to fool with. By the way welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I have a 16' v hull with an electric and a 30hp on it. I love it. But, I am looking into a blowup pontoon boat for solo fishing and ponds I can't get my boat into. I want one with the stand up casting platform on it. If you go with a Kayak, make sure it one of those wide enough to stand up in if needed to. I would still perfer a pontoon. See if you can find a place to try them before you buy it.

Jeremy

Hi Andrew;

A kayak sounds like the boat for you, you will have to either go inflatable or something very short to store it in a house though. as far as bargain kayaks, check out your local craigs list or possibly a store that sells canoes and kayaks and takes/sells trade ins.

Wayneb

In your circumstance. Keep it simple. I say inflatable kayak. A pontoon is a great float platform for fishing. It has too many components and parts for you to deal with. The wind can blow you around a little easier than an inflatable kayak. A pontoon sits you higher, easier for you to see the fish and/but easier for the fish to see you. You can move quicker from point A to B in a kayak.

Any special reason you guys are saying kayak over the pontoon? Is a kayak just quicker to get fishing in and stuff? Any models you guys would keep your eyes open for? I think the one I fished from was from like Dicks or something- Pelican brand I think.

Thanks Old Hat, you posted right before I asked my question... And for those of you who voted other, what were you guys thinking?

I have a Tube,multiple Kayaks and multiple canoes

Tube /pontoon you also have to factor into the cost waders and fins and in cold water unless you have thick waders it can be cold I have used my tube the day after the ice has melted I have 4 mil neoprene waders depending on the air tempeture you can stay out a while windy days you can be blown around and not move very much. you can also loose your fins even though they are strapped on. All that said I still like it especially for remote area you can back pack into or I want to go real quick like after supper I just throw in it the van and off I go do not have to spend time tying down kayak or canoe.

I started fishing in the canoe because that was the first boat I had I use to all paddle with another person but now I know how to paddle it as fast as any kayak 17 ft old tripper. the problem with this is it is heavy and take times to tie it down then I have to do it again at the lake and again when I go home. Also on a windy day I blow all over the place especially if I am alone but I have used it with myself my wife and 2 kids and we would have a good time. It is also good to stand in especially if you are fly fishing (only on calm day) If I am mainly paddling it is a canoe I use the canoe and sometimes fishing with a friend you can talk easier Or I am padding white water I am in a canoe

Kayak is lighter than the canoe and easier to tie down I have a 14 and 12 footer. it has less space than a canoe but it does not get blown around too much when the water is very choppy tying on a fly can be difficults. One of the good things on a windy day you can paddle a lot easier where a canoe or tube/pontoon would be stuck with rod holder you can trowl pretty easy you I would go with something like a wilderness pongo lot of room and very stable

Hi and welcome to the forum!!!

With the restrictions you have I will go with a short SOT (sit-on-top) kayak with a length of 9' or 11' just like the Caper from Ocean Kayak. The problem is the price, new is about 750 . But I think that you can find a used one in ebay or similar places for less money.

I have a float tube and have used it on small lakes and ponds. Kind of annoying to get through a thick moss bed though. it works good though and is probably going to be the easiest to transport and set up as far as time. I have found that to get through a thick moss bed on shore its easy to keep your feet up and sit kind of indian style and back paddle through the nasty stuff. Then when you get in some deeper water you can slide your legs down into the water.

Stay away from the pelican kayaks stick to Old town, wilderness system Preceptions(wilderness and perception same company ) They will last a lot longer and will have better resale value.