Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wolfriverfisher

Funny or strange fishing experiences

I caught a 4lb bass with a 4-5 inch bass in his mouth. In the smaller bass' mouth was a little 1/2 inch bait fish. The first time I ever caught three fish on one hook.

Anyone one ever got a no. 6 stimulater hook in your knee?

Well I must have dropped one on the carpet and along comes my little brother who promply drops to his knees on the carpet for what reaon ill never know. The hook stabbed into his knee up to the bend in the hook. Since the shank was a funky shape, it was super tough getting it out. But when the ordeal was over, a can of coke-a-cola seemed to ease the pain. It usually does.

I have pulled a midge out of a guys eyelid before, luckily he winked or it could have been in the eye ball itself. Cheers, Futzer.

Wow :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes:

I was fishing with a buddy on the Wolf River ( Ya I fish the Wolf a lot!! - It's been good to me. ) a few years back and he was Generic fly fishing. What I mean by that is that he was using a spinning real with a small bobber (red/white) so that he had weight to cast a popper. I was taking a break and watching him fish , and all of a sudden out of nowhere a brown trout about 17" long comes up and grabs his small bobber. It took it about two feet underwater and we could see the brown twisting and turning around for about 10 seconds until he finally spit out the bobber. I'm not sure if the trout actually thought the bobber was food or felt like playing with a small "ball". After that I've almost been tempted to make a lure out of a small bobber , but I figured that had to be a one time thing. Me and my buddy cracked up laughing after the brown finally spit the bobber out. wolfriverfisher (Craig)

I was fishing with a buddy on the Wolf River ( Ya I fish the Wolf a lot!! - It's been good to me. ) a few years back and he was Generic fly fishing. What I mean by that is that he was using a spinning real with a small bobber (red/white) so that he had weight to cast a popper. I was taking a break and watching him fish , and all of a sudden out of nowhere a brown trout about 17" long comes up and grabs his small bobber. It took it about two feet underwater and we could see the brown twisting and turning around for about 10 seconds until he finally spit out the bobber. I'm not sure if the trout actually thought the bobber was food or felt like playing with a small "ball". After that I've almost been tempted to make a lure out of a small bobber , but I figured that had to be a one time thing. Me and my buddy cracked up laughing after the brown finally spit the bobber out. wolfriverfisher (Craig)

Don't feel bad. I had a bunch of hits on a pink strike indicator one day. that night i tied up a couple of the indicators on hooks and have NEVER had another hit on the hooks or an indicator...I swear them fish are taught to mess with our heads some days.

i once hooked into the loc ness monster with a bead head nymph size 24. fought it for 20 minutes, tried to land him or her, couldn't tell, but our net was to small and we lost it at the bank right on jug a scotch point, just below the pub. before it swam away i saw a big rangley streamer in it's lip. look like a grey ghost. it was slippin and slidin on all the empty bottles while trying to escape, made quite a ruchus

look like the same 28 foot 1200 pounder my buddy had lost the weekend before in take a shot inlet. i have vague memories of that weekend but i recall octoberfest was in full swing

Bud

Bud, have you even tied a 24, or has the aliens contacted you again. :) Futzer.

oppppp, sorry i forgot to clarify, i meant a 24 inch bait when i mentioned size 24 beadhead. i was using day5's nessy anialator. the beads as big as a grape fruit on this thing.

tommorow night i'll tell you guys of my experience with bigfoot up on mt hood during a fishing/camping trip. i was passing all the skiers coming down that mountain and i wasn't wearin any ski's

Bud

oppppp, sorry i forgot to clarify, i meant a 24 inch bait when i mentioned size 24 beadhead. i was using day5's nessy anialator. the beads as big as a grape fruit on this thing.

tommorow night i'll tell you guys of my experience with bigfoot up on mt hood during a fishing/camping trip. i was passing all the skiers coming down that mountain and i wasn't wearin any ski's

Bud

Rolling on the floor, laughing my bead head off, BTW, I will have to tell you the story of the stone fly box and the shi__er on Henry's. Jeff

I can't think of anymore funny or strange fishing experiences except for when I was a kid and was fishing with a friend. I warned him to look out because I was a wild caster , and proceeded to hook him right in the neck. Luckily it was a single hook and I didn't hit his jugular vein. Wolfriverfisher (Craig)

Bud

Rolling on the floor, laughing my bead head off, BTW, I will have to tell you the story of the stone fly box and the shi__er on Henry's. Jeff

Lets here it jeff :lol:

When my son was 4, we were stationed in Alaska- not tourist Alaska, but part of Alaska nobody ever wants to stop in. The real deal. Anyhow, just around breakup (springtime, May) we were BSing around on a gravel bar on a small river where the Alaska "Highway" crossed near Tok. The water was about 33 degrees and pretty much looked like a chocolate milkshake. There was no point in fishing. I had a rope tied around my son and was letting him chuck rocks into the water and play on something other than snow or ice for the first time in many months. He picked up a big rock, probably about five pounds, and heaved it for all he was worth into the river--- and it splashed in about six inches from where the water met the rocks--- SPLASH and this silver shape rockets out of the muddy water and hits the beach "FISH FISH FISH FISH!!!" he's yelling and jumping around... it was a 17" arctic grayling. He must have landed the rock exactly where the fish was lying in a pocket out of the current. It was a one-in-a-million thing. We looked at it and got it back in the water, it didn't appear to be injured at all. It was probably wondering how it got blown out of the water and what just happened!

Ok JSzymczyk, I just have to ask, what is with the swiming pigglets, I like it, but just have to hear, and nice rock shot, got to love it. Cheers Futzer.

Ok, I have a bunch of stories about hooking beaver, geese, bats, myself, etc. The funniest fishing experiences I can remember all happened while I was guiding. So here goes the first. I was on a major river with two clients circle jerking a major hole in my drift boat while 10 other boats are doing the same. When you fish this particular hole on the river it is common practice to circle jerk. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this process, I will elaborate. You do not post anchor in the main drift zone, you drift for about hundred yards and start over. If you do need to pull over, you do so, as close to the bank as possible and you let the other boats pass by. Most of you who are guides know who the one DB guide is, the guide who everyone hates b/c he thinks he owns the river. For some particular reason that day this DB was in a really unpleasant mood. For the sake of privacy we will call him John. John began yelling at several guides for going past him while he was fixing a clients tangle. Keep in mind, John had posted his anchor in the middle of the drift zone. John became quite unpleasant and began cursing and yelling, threatening physical harm to them if they did not stop. One of the guys John yelled at happens to be a good friend of mine, who I know has a short temper. When confronted, this friend accepted John’s challenge of physical violence and called him out. John proceeded to grab a fly rod and try and hook my friend with the fly. After several missed attempts, due to being in a drift boat John attempted to reposition his cast in mid air. Well, this turned out to be a rather large mistake. When casting a fly rod with a BB sized lead weight attached to it I have heard it can travel at speeds up to 100mph. The BB proceeded to hit John square in the Temple knocking him out cold. John fell to the floor of the drift boat in utter silence. Remember, everyone had been watching this take place b/c of how verbal John had been during the altercation. I was in shock and just started laughing hysterically. Finally after a minute of confusion, several boats went over to check on John. When they got to his boat, John snapped out of his self induced slumber, jumped to his feet and on top of what had just happened, fell out of his boat into 40 degree water. I can tell you by the sheer sound of his voice that he was no longer unconscious. They got him out of the water and the day went on as we had a lot to laugh about. This I can say, with all honesty, is the last time we ever had a problem with John.

I thought of one more funny fishing experience. A couple of years ago my buddy and I were fishing the artifical lure/barbless hook - catch and release early trout season in northern Wisconsin on the Wolf river. It must have been mid March and we were desperate to get a little fishing in. Since the river was high from the winter melt we headed for a normally calm shallow streach. It was high and fast , but wadeable (Barely). Like idiots we had summer breathable waders on. My buddy got his waders on first and got in the water and started fishing. I was still putsing aroung with my gear and after 5 minutes my buddy said that his family jewels were burning , but he kept on fishing. I finally got in the water and I told him that mine were burning too!! He told me that I'll get used to it. I told him that I didn't want to get used to it and I got out of the river and fished from the shore. He must have stayed in there another 20 minutes before he finally got out. He went back to were he lives in southern Wisconsin the next day and called me a couple of days later and told me that he got frost bite on his inner thighs. I can't believe he didn't get any you know where and too this day I wonder if he'll be able to have children. I've learned to be patient and wait for beter weather , because that was mighty stupid on our part. If one of us would have slipped and fell down , I'm kinda thinking it coulda been the end for one or both of us.

One night a friend and I decided to launch his 15ft alumaweld and go fish the lighted docks for specs and reds. This was a dangerous endevor as there was still occasional floating debris from the last hurricane. So as a safety meassure , he had me ride up by the bow with a Q-beam to point out any hazzards that might be in our way. We moved from dock to dock without even a single strike.As we moved from bay to bay I was noticing my friend was getting bored and decided to have a little fun at my exspense. Earlier in the trip as I would spot a log or something in our path , I would flash the light back and forth and he would change course. But as he got bored he decided it was more fun to wait til I turned around and yelled at him to turn. The air temp was 40 degrees and I had no intention of finding out what the water temp. was. He kept this up intermitently as we moved in search of fish.Then we decided to head down the ship channel where we hoped the fish would be , because of the deeper water. By this time I had enough of his games and decided not give him the satisfaction of reacting when he did'nt immediatly change course. We had about a 4 mile run to the next set of lights and I noticed a heavy laden tug boat heading our way.

I flashed my light on it, as a formality. Surely he saw it ,and again was messing with me.

As we drew closer and closer , I was determined not to let him get me this time. But when it looked certain we would strike the tug I turned back to find my buddy . Sitting with his back to me pissing over the back of the motor. He must of sensed the urgency in my voice

and turned us just enough that we only grazzed the tug. We decided to call it a night after that. My friend was wet and cold .And it wasn't from the sea water.

Fred