Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Streamers

Has anyone ever used the Carrie Stevens style streamers for browns and rainbows. I'm thinking about using the larger ones. I've used the Gray Ghost #10 and #12 and that worked for me.

If so what worked for you, i'm not sure what to try.

Hi EF, I got heavily into Carrie Steven's style streamers for Trout about 10 yrs ago-ish when jungle cock became more easily available. I was in a phase of one uping my budddies, for example they would bring out a bugger, or Muddler, and I would pull out a White Ghost on a .Carrie Stevens Rangeley Streamer hook, 10XL shank just to be classic or different. They work very well, and I even use them in size 12's and 14's now. I almost always throw 2 small streamers at once seperated with about 8 inches of leader. I think the success rate is better in tandem.

My favorites in order:

Ghost tied with olive grizzly wing

White Ghost

Lady Miller

Grey Ghost

Demon

Water Witch

Blue devil

Baby Rainbow trout

Have fun, they sure make a colorfull fly box to show off. Cheers, Futzer.

In addition to what has been listed

Colonel Bates

Similar, but not originated by Mrs Stevens

Black Ghost

Doctor Oatman

I primarily use them for Smallmouth bass, and tie in sizes 6, 4 & 2.

I like to convert the C.S. flies with a Rabbit strip wing on a size 2 tmc 300 hook. The trout kill em, but I have found that I have lost some big fish due to the long shank hook. Right now I am trying to come up with a tandem hook system for them.

You cant beat a featherwing streamer for ANY big fish, i.e., browns, bows, brookies, togue, salmon, stripers, blues, bass, etc. Featherwings will catch big fish every time. I use 8X hooks in sizes 2 and 4 mostly, sometimes I go down to a 6 and RARELY do I fish a tiny number 8. Duane