Fly Tying
breambuster

Classic Wet Fly Or Soft Hackle Fly Swap

got mine in the mail today too. Great set of flies. Can't wait to try them all out.

This was a fun swap, thanks everyone for swapping and thanks Breambuster for hosting.

Thanks, guys, for letting me know your flies have arrived. It was my pleasure to host this one.

Also, I have just added a couple more material lists to the other thread with the pictures. I believe that these are all the material lists that I've gotten so far. If you haven't sent yours yet, I hope you will soon. If you have sent yours and I haven't posted it, please let me know & I'll look again.

Thanks

BB

Flies received :headbang: Greta job everybody .....Thanks again BB for hosting, I thought it was a nice idea to have everybody list their recipes.

Just a reminder to everyone to let me know when your flies arrive. I haven't heard from several of you. I hope you've gotten them by now. Please let me know.

Take care

BB

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: They arrived. Have you ever seen a better group of fine and classy bunch of flies? Every one puts me to shame, but I will do it again and use the inspiration to try and do better. I think some of you have small elves doing your tying. The quality work in these flies gives me a goal to reach for. I am learning just by doing.

Thank you all for the fabulous flies.

breambuster, Thank you for hosting this fun swap. Hope to join yours again. B)

Horseshoes wrote:

"Every one puts me to shame, but I will do it again and use the inspiration to try and do better. The quality work in these flies gives me a goal to reach for. I am learning just by doing."

Thanks Horseshoes, I couldn't agree more with the idea that participating in swaps helps to make you a better tier. I know it has done WORLD'S for my tying, and I'm still pretty sorry, so you can imagine where I was when I started! But tying 15 of the same pattern is a tremendous learning opportunity. As you do the same pattern over and over, you learn to tie faster, but you also begin to see little things that you could do to make your flies better. You try a slightly different method for one of your steps and you find that it works better; that it gives better results. You study how others have tied the flies they submit and you learn, not only new patterns, but you learn new skills.

One of the reasons I wanted to do this swap was because I wanted an incentive to work on the quill wings of a classic wet pattern. I had watched some videos showing some things I hadn't tried before and this was my motivation for trying it. One of the biggest things I learned from the video was that once you make your initial thread wrap around the wings, you NEVER go behind that wrap. All of your additional thread wraps MUST come between the initial wrap and forward toward the hook eye. If you go BEHIND that initial wrap, you mess up your wings. I had never been able to do wings before because I didn't know that rule and kept messing up the wings. So that's an example of how participating in a swap increases your skills.

So keep participating in swaps, keep working on your skills, keep on learning and growing, and not only will you be able to catch some fish on your flies, but you will be able to tie a fly that is much more pleasing in appearance. It will be tighter, better, and more durable as well. And that is what this game is all about. Just getting better, learning a new skill, solving a problem, doing better work.

Take care

BB

Got my flies today :D

Thanks all for a great introduction to swapping. Great flies!

Thanks for having me on board and for hosting breambuster ;)