Fly Tying
iso18

how good of a tyer r u really and how do you feel about your tying whe

WHAT KIND OF TYER DO U CONSIDER YOURSELF 2B  

596 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The minute you think you have tied the "perfect" fly, some 12 year old will show you up. :-) Truly this is a hobby that can never be completely mastered, once you master a technique or fly, that opens the door to another one to work on. I should know, I am in the upper six figures of number of flies tied in a lifetime, not one has been "perfect".

Cheers, Futzer.

I am a decent tier, but I specialize in nymphs, midges, and soft hackles because I'm a product of my fishing. Perfection doesn't exist, I'm a trim carpenter and the first few years of my business I chased it relentlessly and burnt myself out on the idea.... Besides, the anomaly in nature is usually the first thing to get eaten..... :thumbsup: I just try to be creative with my tying so that I am constantly presenting something new to the fish. Tying my own allows me to do that, and feel like a complete fly fisherman

I dont really care what people think of my flies. I just care what the fish think. Its very satisfying catching a fish on the fly i tied and thats what matters. On a one to ten for fly tying ability i am a very solid 3. The amount of fun i have catching fish on the flies i tie and the fun i have tying them a 10

Im a horrible tyer. I just feel privileged that I am able to tie.

[i have two sides of tying, first of all i truely believe tthat the slight imperfections tigger the strike ,so ugly flies rock! then there is the side that does show flie s for demo's & micro photo's that has to be perfect, at thoughs times it is citical to be the best. In all honesty I tend to give my perfect flies to others [to save face] & I'm fishing my " screw up's" and they catch fish all day long. The point is simple don't tie for pretty tie for fish. After time you will start to work with your material i.e. thread,feathers, & so on. don't try to force the materials to work with you.

quote name='iso18' date='Feb 20 2009, 07:53 AM' post='348767']

was just wondering,because i am constantly critquing my flies when i try new techniques and often get frustrated with the whole outcome.but then come tommorrow,i will be right back at it with a different attitude trying to improve on my shortcomings.

shane

Decent enough to catch fish is what I voted, but it really depends on what exactly I am tying. I feel like I do the warmwater stuff really well, and it's mostly what I tie, but it's only specific warmwater patterns I feel I do well. Something like spinning deer hair, I'd say crappy. :wallbash: As for coldwater species, I tie a lot of my own nymphs and they catch fish, but they are no works of art. What I really struggle with are the intricate patterns, like specific dries, that call for upright and divided wings and specifically shaped bodies, etc...but ask me to do a dozen #22 black midges and I think I can do them well.

Totally depends on what I am tying. ;)

I like the recurring theme...I found some flies I tied a few years ago...Holy :bugeyes: Being an old California boy who grew up watching my dad tie tout flies, I think of tying as a journey with no end.

I spend time at the vise because it's relaxing, creative and cheaper than going to the Gold Nugget for lap dances :devil: The money spent on fur and feathers pales in comparison to watching the wife cut the boat in half and spending half of my AF retirement on shoes :sick:

In the end I let the fish decide, they don't seem to be as picky about my tying as I am...

Cheers

I'm not as good a fly tyer as I am a fly fisherman and I'm not all that good a fly fisherman; however, I very much enjoy doing both and for me that's all that really matters. One would be hard pressed to find someone who derives as much enjoyment from fly fishing/tying as I do -- it's my thing.

Old trout I think i can match you there.I am what i am.I am a fishing junky.I have been this way since i was 5 years old when i learned to fish.I do not care if its fly fishing for gills throwing topwater poppers for bass or bottom fishing for 20lbs cats i am in it for the experience. :P

I suck at tying when compared to most of the other guys on this forum, but I seldom come home without a full creel or at least a full camera. I guess I'll always be a better fisherman than I am a tier. But then again, that 's a good thing. Gives me a reason to practice both, as often as possible as "practice makes perfect", does it not? :lol:

Very cool to see my thread still evolving on its, a little over one year anniversary.I agree with every post,someday i'll get this fly tying-fishing thing perfected and then someone can throw some dirt over me,for I will have died a very happy fly tying fishing man and then I can fish with JESUS and do it all over again.

shanepost-15795-1267206064_thumb.jpg

I'm happy to just spend time enjoying my hobby and giving thanks to the Lord for not giving me two hands full of thumbs! :unsure:

Amen..............