Fly Tying
Futzer

Photographing Flies for the forum

I just went to wallmart and got me a fuji finepix Z-20 for 150.00 not bad for a 10megpix. lets see what you guys think of the picture.

I just took a picture of a hopper in the vise.

hopperswap.jpg

I would also recommend downloading the free Google program called Picasa 3. It is very easy to use and will easily adjust the exposure of a photo to make it look better. The software has some very nice tools for straightening and cropping images and it allows users to easily resize ("Export") images in different sizes to make uploading/viewing easier.

Note - The software will improve most photos, but will not it can't fix blurry (out of focus) or overexposed (washed out) images. You've got to start with a decent image and then just tweek the exposure/color balance.

Here is a link to the Picasa software download site:

http://picasa.google.com/#utm_medium=embed...source=pwalogin

I just went to wallmart and got me a fuji finepix Z-20 for 150.00 not bad for a 10megpix. lets see what you guys think of the picture.

hopperswap.jpg

Thanks Pasttimetyer, and Letumgo. Good info. The detail is very good, and tight focus. I think I need to buy a new camera, the prices have sure come down. And I need to help stimulate the economy some more, at least that is what I tell Mrs Futz.

Cheers, Jeff

hopperswap.jpg

Thanks Pasttimetyer, and Letumgo. Good info. The detail is very good, and tight focus. I think I need to buy a new camera, the prices have sure come down. And I need to help stimulate the economy some more, at least that is what I tell Mrs Futz.

Cheers, Jeff

Jeff here's what I pick up. For the price I thought it was a good deal

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10747574

just remember- Megapixels ain't everything. You need a decent quality lens to get any advantage out of a huge CCD. Consider the entire package in regards to what you will do with the camera most of the time. I'm shopping for a new cam right now too- and would way rather find a really good lens with a 5-6 megapixel CCD than a 15 megapix CCD with a POS lens.

Photography is a very personal thing- as long as you find something YOU are happy with, then you've done the right thing.

My $0.02 - most macro pictures have a very narrow depth of field due to magnification. Although this may work to your advantage in an artistic way, it may create problems for flies that have lots of "depth". You need to pay attention to your focus point. I prefer to get the hook eye in sharp focus. If you can set your camera in aperature priority mode, you can stop down the aperature (smaller = bigger f/ number) to enhance the depth of field to some degree. This will require better lighting. I usually use off-camera lighting (Ott lights or similar) and a tripod.

For image manipulation drop some cash on Adobe Photoshop (PS) Elements. It used to be around $50. For a hobbyist it is perfect, even if it does require a little practice. There is a reason why Adobe PS is the primary photo-editing software used by Pros. Over the years, some of the features from the full version have made their way over to Elements. If you do some reasearch you will find preferred image editing "profiles" for your specific camera.

I shoot an old Canon 10D DSLR with some nice glass and I also use a few Canon P&S Cameras (G10, and SD800). As others have said, the new P&S cameras are very good and, at web resolution, you would have a hard time seeing the difference between a DSLR and a good P&S camera.

I found that you can get some interesting backgrounds at the local craft store in the "scrap-booking" section. Here's the set-up I used last year for one of the foam swaps.

post-4245-1235276407_thumb.jpg

Here's a fly I think was tied by Picken6ofem, shot with ambient light & a tripod

post-4245-1235276832_thumb.jpg

Ott light + tripod

post-4245-1235276911_thumb.jpg

Here's one that isn't so good. It's OK for sharing, but the fly isn't truly sharp. It was hand-held at a shutter speed that was a little too slow. It would have been perfect if I had taken the time to shoot from a tripod. I included it because I was trying a different effect. I placed a small plane of glass over my background to try to give a floating effect. It is probablt a few inches too high, because the shadows are too far off the fly - but I wanted tio show something "close but no cigar".

post-4245-1235277025_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I love photography, fishing & fly tying, but haven't been doing too much of any of them. I'd be happyo answer and PS Elements questions if you get it - not that I'm an expert, but I have picked up a few tricks. You need to develop a workflow that works for you - within the contect of time, effort, set-up, post-processing, etc.

hopperswap.jpg

Nice looking hopper! :headbang: :headbang:

I just thought I'd post this I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but for $40 bucks I think it's worth a try.

Portable Mini Photo Studio

Portable Mini Photo Studio

A complete desktop kit with fold up light box, 2 lights, mini tripod and two-pocket nylon carrying case for portability.

* Backdrop provides clean backgrounds and optimal lighting which can provide you with studio quality pictures using your own camera

* Convenient carrying case features a built-in handle to easily transport the studio around

Studio box dimensions: 16" L x 16" W x 16" H; Folding base (unfolded): 20-1/2" L x 8-1/4" W x 1/2" H; Telescoping pole: 11" L to 16-3/4" L; Light assembly: 9" L x 2-5/8" L x 3-3/4" deep; Light cord: 69" L; Backdrop cloth: 31-3/4" L x 16-1/4" W x 1/64" thick

post-18319-1235695039_thumb.png