Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just picked up a Danvise two days ago! I tied up about 30 or so flies with it, size's 12-20, and it is great so far. Initially I was worried about the mostly plastic construction, but it seems to be just as solid as any.

20120919121559856.jpg

I'm new to this whole fly tying thing and ave been tying for the last few months on a cheap piece of junk that cost me 10 dollars. I just ordered an Anvil Atlas for myself for my B-day so we'll see how it works.

I started tying on a kit vice. Not even sure what brand. I eventually "upgraded" to a Cabelas Super II, It is a pretty good cheap vice which is still only around $20. I've been using it for the past 5 years or so. Now I am in the market for a rotary so I am going to get a less expensive one. Thanks to the comments and reviews I have read here I am going to pick up a Peak vice sometime this week. We shall see how that goes.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's I commericaly tyed with Thompson "B" vices, which had to be replaced about every two years because the jaw metal would schatter and end up in the nearest wall. For the past 15 yrs. I use 4 Regal type vises (knock offs) that have not given me a bit off trouble. All 4 get used continually.

I started with a Cabela's portable. You know, the one that comes in the little wooden box with the tools. Little did I know it was the start of the worst/best obsession I ever have had. I then got a bigger AA vise, then a cheap rotary, then another cheap rotary. I then got a Griffin Montana Mongoose. Well mixed feelings there. Holds a hook like steel bear trap. Great in that department. It just seems a little sloppy in the "Fine Machining" department. So I set my mind to make my own. First vise I made is all aluminum with hardened D-2 tool steel cam-lock jaws, full rotary, stainless ball bearings, and a counter balance weight. It is a hybrid "Abel style body" with montana mongoose type jaws. A match made in heaven. I made every option known to man for this vise too. I enjoyed making it so well I made (2) Law style vises only with 420 hardened stainless steel jaws and stainless ball bearings "not delrin plastic as on a real Law" for the rotary movement. I have made a NOR-VISE all stainless and brass. Buy the way, hats off to Norm Norland the designer of the NOR-VISE. This is truley a revolutionary vise by design and function. After seeing him use it on YOU TUBE I had to make my own. If you have never watched them, you need too. The techniques he invented to use this vise are revolutionary. The speed of tying on this vise is awsome. Anyone tying small flies on a production scale will benifit with this vise. I KID YOU NOT!!! Keep in mind I may have made my own NOR_VISE, but all the credit HAS TO GO TO NORM NORLAND. BRAVO!!!!!!!! Also, I have talked to Norm Norland and Lawence A. Waldren personally, they are great guys and I would never make one of these vise to sell to others. I have been asked to. Nope Sorry. I have to say tying flies on vises I made myself is really rewarding. I assume the same feeling we all get from tying and fishing with flies we tie ourselves. I guess I will have to take some pics and show them to you all now. IN total I have 11 vises. My wife is not happy. LOL!!!

I just recently picked up a Peak vice. I'm very satisfied with the whole thing. As it is my first rotary I was not too sure what to expect. It has been really easy to transition into and the rotary function is very smooth. This vice is well made at a fraction of the price of other rotaries. I would recommend it to all skill levels with no problem.

I also tie on a Peak rotary... LOVE it... I was about to pull the trigger in a Renzetti Traveller when the peak caught my eye...

I recently purchased a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler to upgrade from a clamp on vise I got in a tying kit.

Majority of the purchase was based on supporting Renzetti as they are located not too far from my home and have been very helpful in setting things up.

I'm spinning away with my Nor-Vise. Will never go back to an ordinary vise...never!

Best investment I have had since my first pair of Waders!

There have been some posts recently from newbies asking for advice about vises. So, I thought it would be a good time to get everybody's 2 cents worth and proved some information for them.

I have been through 8 or 9 different vises since I started tying, and until now haven't been really happy with any of them. It's still early in our relationship, but it appears I will be happy with my latest vise but that could change, I am kind of fickled.

It's funny how some tyers can be chauvanistic and defensive about thier vises, so in this poll I would like to hear what you like best and least about your vise. And don't tell me you vise is perfect, none of them are.

I started with a Thompson "A" and now I'm using an HMH. I've run the gambit through Renzetti, D-K, Thompson and a few others and I have found that in my case, a rotary vise isn't an advantage for me. I prefer a more linear fixed platform to tie from. Also, the design of the rotary arm seemed to always be in the way, tying Clousers on one is awkward.

I prefer cam-lock jaws but Dyna-King's jaws are a little too efficient, I've lost count on how many hooks I have crushed in them. The old Renzetti jaws with the cheezy rubber band on them are crap and were the reason I got rid of mine. I'm not using my Cobra anymore because of the jaws and the rotary arm (two strikes) although it is a very good vise for small flies.

So far I'm happy with the HMH, although I would prefer the Magnum jaws not have grooves machined into them, it isn't good for japanned salmon fly hooks.

I have a Montana Mongoose as a primary vise but have also a regal rotery and a few sunrise vises for some students.

I haven't been at my vise for a couple of months as I'm working in a safety position for an oilfield construction company and living in a camp in northern Alberta. I plan on bringing my vise and fly tying gear up here in a couple of weeks after my next turn around.

I missed flyfishing this summer and my vise!!! :(