Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ridleyffo

Cabelas capes

My sister gave me a cabelas gift card for my b-day. I just went on their site and noticed the following capes on sale as described here.

Cabela's Premium Dry Fly Necks Item:9IS-314396

Reg: $49.99

Sale: $29.99

Cabela's Premium #1 dry fly necks

seems like a good deal but the one time i actually bought feathers from cabelas I was extremely disappointed. Granted those were only an India Hen patch and Im certainly no pro on materials, but I have to say that they were total crap.

Any thoughts on the deal above.

I started tying with the whiting 100 packs and love them for their ease of use and stiffness but I also recently discovered the joys of having a full cape and being able to tie most sizes and have some tailing material as well. I am a bit divided on which way to go.

Maybe i should just buy hooks from cabelas and get my feathers from J. Stockard

I normally buy Whiting capes and saddles, however I was in Cabelas last week and they had Jay Fair grizzly saddles on sale. Regularly $39.95 marked down to $19.95. I pulled all 3 that they had from the bags and all were great saddles. The feathers were long and the barbs were really fine. Stems were good also. I was really impressed as I have never bought a Jay Fair saddle before.

I have never bought a saddle or cape without seeing it so I am not sure what to tell you if you are mail ordering. Hooks are always a good choice since you know what you will be getting.

Rob

They have a pretty good selection of dry fly capes, you need to decide what size flies your most likely to tie , then pull out a few necks and see the sizes available

Hi Bob, Cabelas sells Whiting, so get the good stuff, their selection is a little iffy. Cheers, Jeff.

i would definately go to a cabelas store and look at them and inspect them before ever buying hackle or any other expensive feathers online. that also goes for any online fly shop.

I was trying to avoid the drive across half of PA to get to the Hamburg store. Dosent seem quite worth it to spend my sister's $50.

The Cabelas premium capes are stated to be by whiting. Seems like a good deal at $20 off so maybe I will make the journey and just explain the $200 from checking as a tire blow out. "Truck tires are expensive honey" :rolleyes:

What I really want is a micro hackle plier. Does anyone use those rotating hackle pliers with the hinged arm?

Thanks for the input guys.

Cabelas also sells some o.k. quality whitings capes. they are full necks with a pretty good size range. check em out. i just went tonight and got a grizzly and furnace. happy tying!

I have the arm ones that swivel. I don't use them much with the rotary vise now but they are very easy to use. I still use them sometimes for parachutes.

Jeremy

I have one I bought it in a pinch, it is not worth 50, but probably worth the 30. I think I paid the same price for it at the time. The shafts tended to want to twist a bit.

new member here, I saw the original post and ordered four capes. The first two just arrived, and they're awesome. These capes are way better than my old Hoffman #1s and are on par with the couple of Whiting platinums that are just a few years old. These Cabelas branded capes don't go to crazy small sizes, I'm guessing the smallest would be a 24.

The feathers are just amazingly long, just a testament to effort that Tom is putting into his breeding program. There are size 16 feathers on this cape that are over 5" long!

new member here, I saw the original post and ordered four capes. The first two just arrived, and they're awesome. These capes are way better than my old Hoffman #1s and are on par with the couple of Whiting platinums that are just a few years old. These Cabelas branded capes don't go to crazy small sizes, I'm guessing the smallest would be a 24.

The feathers are just amazingly long, just a testament to effort that Tom is putting into his breeding program. There are size 16 feathers on this cape that are over 5" long!

Cabela capes on sale for $29.99 that are on par with Whiting Platinums that go for $150? Did I understand that right?

Mike

Cabela capes on sale for $29.99 that are on par with Whiting Platinums that go for $150? Did I understand that right?

Mike

My platinums are all probably 5+ years old, the new ones must be better (one of them has a $120 sticker on it - maybe that helps determine how old it is). I'm just comparing what I have on-hand, and yes, these new capes are amazing. I tied a couple of parachute size 16s tonight and the feathers are easy to tie with, just like any Whiting feather.

Makes me wonder what a new platinum cape would look like, but I haven't seen any new capes in any shop I've been in at that kind of level.